Jazz tune reccommendation

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bdkauff)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi there,

Could anyone reccommend a good jazz tune to learn that will get me thinking in terms of theory (I've studied theory, so challenge me!), teach me some funky jazz chords/voicings, and perhaps, a cool solo? Any Miles Davis tunes that translate well to guitar? Charlie Parker?

Am I asking too much? lol

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

How about Autumn Leaves? It seems to be a jazz standard that lives on forever in various versions. It has the advantage that it crops up in numerous online videos, lessons etc.

This is one plucked at random from youtube, but there's heaps out there.

Autumn leaves improvisation

Here's a link to a huge thread on a piano forum (Pianoworld) that gives you all the information you'd need.

Autumn Leaves

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

And because you really can't have too much of a good thing here's a couple more vids. :)

Joe Pass

Ted Greene and tele

Adam Fulara tapping on double necked guitar

It's worth watching Adam Fulara for his facial expressions alone... :)

Randomly selected lesson

aaah.....

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good one Chris! :D

(BTW, watch the Ted Greene version, it is in the "related videos" list.)

Another jazz classic, Take Five (originally by Dave Brubeck). Here is a George Benson version.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Another jazz classic, Take Five (originally by Dave Brubeck). Here is a George Benson version.

Thanks for the link Nuno - wonderful tune. Dave Brubeck playing it was one of the first pieces of music that I really loved when I was young. I always thought it was written by Dave Brubeck himself, but apparently it was his Sax player Paul Desmond who wrote it. So, when I had the chance to buy a sax, at a good price, I also bought the sheet music for Take 5 - in a fit of enthusiasm..... Alas, the sax is still under the bed unlearned as yet... :oops:
... and the music is...um... somewhere underneath the mountain of books around here. One day... one day.... :mrgreen:

Chris

Just one more "Gypsy Jazz" style Autumn Leaves - 5 improvisations on the one clip

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I'm enjoying "Sundown" by Wes Montgomery - great tune, some very unique voicings for chords, and a solo that requires very fast picking. Still working on the intro though. :)

Get the "Best of Wes Montgomery" tablature book - it's hard to find anywhere else.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks for the comment Chris, I always thought the Brubeck wrote it. It is one of my favorite songs, too. Some years ago I tried to collect as many different versions as possible. It is a 5/4 rhythm, it is very complex to me but I love it.

Autumn Leaves is a wonderful tune. It was one of the first songs I learnt to play on the piano. It is very easy to add fills and variations to the main melody and always they sound great. Here is another video, the guy adds several fills and plays with a great feeling.

And here is another more, this time the original French version by Yves Montand: Les Feuilles Mortes. (Really I am not sure if Montand did the first recording.)

Once... once I was in a jazz jam as listener. We were a group of friends. The band was a classical jazz formation with a woman as singer. I heard two notes of the song and I quickly recognized it. I said the name inconsciently and I remember that everybody in the other tables turned to watch me... :oops:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

(BTW, watch the Ted Greene version, it is in the "related videos" list.)
Sorry, Chris, I didn't see your post, I think you wrote it while I'm writing! :D

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

And here is another more, this time the original French version by Yves Montand: Les Feuilles Mortes. (Really I am not sure if Montand did the first recording.)

Marvellous!

SOOOOOO smooth. Takes me back a few decades..... :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm enjoying "Sundown" by Wes Montgomery - great tune, some very unique voicings for chords, and a solo that requires very fast picking. Still working on the intro though. :)

Get the "Best of Wes Montgomery" tablature book - it's hard to find anywhere else.

Good call about Wes Montgomery. :D

Here he is playing a Thelonius Monk tune.

Round Midnight

Ah, to be able to play like that.....

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It's actually against the law in many states to play a Jazz set without playing "Take Five". Kind of like doing a classic rock set without doing "Mustang Sally". :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote