Notifications
Clear all

Jimi Hendrix Style

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@reeve)
Estimable Member

But you can't really analyze Hendrix's music like that. He played by ear. He really did not know anything about music. He said in an interview once that he didn't even know what a C chord is. Now that was probably an exaggeration, but I don't think Hendrix knew very much about music from head knowledge. Hendrix really was on his own little plane. He heard music in his head and was extremely creative. He spoke about music in terms of colors and moods. He would tell a fellow musician that a chord needed to be more "red". He really talked like this.

So Hendrix probably had no idea what progressions he was playing. He just played the sounds and progressions he heard in his head.

I remember Hendrix said once he wanted to create the sound of "cellophane typewriters". Now if you can figure out what that means, you will understand Hendrix.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading this thread. He definitely didn't think to himself "Well, even though Fmaj isn't diatonic to the key of Em......" as he was writing his songs. He just heard the notes in his head and played it from there.

Well, I've had some requests, but I'm going to play anyway.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2