Clear all

Johnny Cash strumming patterns?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys, I'm very new to guitars and have just been lookng up the chords to Johhny cash sonys like a boy named sue which seem to be ok for me, only thing is I wouldn't be able to figure out what strumming patterns to use? Anyone know anywhere I could get the strumming patterns?

Thanks alot

(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Check the Easy Song Database for Cash songs, there are a few there with suggestions for patterns.

Most of his stuff I use an alternating bass strum pattern, for example in 4/4 time:

B Du B Du or simpler B D B D

where B is a pluck of the appropriate E, A, D (ie: bass string) and Du is a down up strum of the G B e (ie: treble) strings. Say "boom" on the bass pluck and "chuck" on the trebles and you will get the feel.

For "Boy":

Finger a G chord, pluck the E string, Du the trebles, pluck the A string, Du trebles.
Finger a C chord, pluck the A string, Du the trebles, pluck the D string, Du trebles.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks a lot, that helps in a big way. Apart from G and C explained above there is also a D chord so will I

Finger a D chord, pluck the A string, Du the trebles, pluck the D string, Du trebles?

Thanks alot,

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

You nailed it. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Cool, i'l try this when I get home. thanks for the help Dave

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Just a suggestion, take some time to get that pattern down before you tackle singing. I found it a fairly tough one to match the words to the rhythm, there are a heck of a lot of words and it is more spoken-chanted than sung. But a real crowd pleaser round the campfire!

ReplyQuote
(@chymera)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Will do, thanks

ReplyQuote