Judas Priest Fans

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK I have a question for all you Judas Priest fans if there are any here. We have journeyed down a road of playing some Judas Priest songs lately and I was never a fan of JP but I'm finding I like their songs alot and like playing them.

But I have a question on one particular one and that's the song Hot Rockin. For some reason I love the sound of this solo and started working on it Saturday. The solo is only about 20 secs or so and not that hard so I thought it would be fun to learn. Anyway after listening to it, it sounded as if there was a natural break at about halfway through the solo so I thought it would be cool to split it between myself and the other guitar player but the more I listen to it the more it sounds like the solo is split between the two guitar players.

So do any of you JP fans know if this is the case or not?

One more question, they are getting those notes to really squeal when they pick them. I know the technique but I'm not sure what it's called, my teacher calls it chicken picking but I don't think that is the correct term but maybe it is.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@blueline)
Noble Member

cnev, I grew up on JFP. At the time, there was an unwritten law that you had to say Judas "F'n" Priest when you spoke about the band. :lol: ANYWAYS....Hot Rockin comes off of the Point of Entry album. I'll have to listen to the solo. It's been a loooong time since I've heard that it. Tipton and Downing used to split the solos on most every song but since that is so short, it may just be Tipton on that one. But if memory serves, it may be a harmony lead on that song. (both playing simultaneously). I'll have to give a listen and get back to you!!!

Edit: The squeal is done by using a technique called pinch harmonics. Basically, when you are picking a note, expose a small amount of the pic between your fingers and let your fingers touch the string as you strike it by using a short/strong stroke. It helps to have a lot of gain/distortion when you do this.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Blueline,

Yes that's it. I knew it wasn't called chicken pickin but I know how to do the technique. Anyway the more I hear the more it sounds like the trade off between the two. The second half starts around 1:36 into the song at the 24th fret of the b string.

Our drummer is really into them and to be honest the only song I really ever heard was Living After Midnight which at the time didn't do much for me but it's a super simple song to play and it's kind of fun. The other JP songs we are doing are You got another thing comin, Hot Rockin and Electric Eye.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Not that I'd suggest you add this to your set, but from a guitarist's POV, give a listen to Beyond the Realms of Death. We play this every time I jam with my freinds. It's a must play song for us and way fun to jam to.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I will definitely check it out. I really do enjoy the JP songs. I used to like to play AC/DC songs even though I never liked listening to them but no one else shared my viewpoint so we don't play those, plus we are limited by what the bass player is capable of..not that I'm a virtuoso or anything.

I checked it out cool song...the riff sounds a little liek they stole it from Bad Company's I feel like makin love..I'm listening to the solo now

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

I'm playing around with Breaking the Law right now. Easy, and a lot of fun.

Judas Priest has 2 guitarists, and they do switch off doing solos.

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

Here's the video :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki3TpFZY7cU

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

BillyB,

Txs, that's perfect. They are trading off on that solo. It's a little different than the way my teacher tabbed it out I'll have to ask him about it otherwise most of what he tabbed on was right on.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Personally a fan of "The Ripper".

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Think my all time fav would have to be Victim of Changes

ReplyQuote
(@dick-wolkendeck)

I like Priest but I don't like their "commercial" songs like hot rockin' and living after midnight. Janet Jackson's black cat sounds heavier. Il like exciter, jawbreaker, a tough of evil and of course painkiller. The solo's in these songs are brilliant. Try those sweeps in painkiller!

Unfortunately the lyrics are mostly... let's say... adolescent? Nevermind, whitesnake doesn't do much better. Or Sammy Hagar. Oh, by the way, that video... :lol:

http://www.seraphique.com

The big secret to get lots of stuff is to never get rid of anything.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

dick,

That's exactly why I never liked JP because I thought the lyrics were a bit cheesy and I especially think Hot Rockin and Livin After Midnight are a bit cheesy but I do really like the solo in Hot Rockin not sure why but I do.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Judas Priest was one of the few Metal bands of the 80's I liked, not really my style of music. I think You Got Another Thing Comin' is a great song, and I really liked Breakin' the Law too. Great band.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yea Wes we are playing three JP songs right now, Living after Midnight, You got another thing coming and this week we are going to work on Hot Rockin, with Electric Eye next.

We started with you got another thing comng and I really enjoyed playing that song. Since I only play the rhythm parts for the most part they are all pretty simple. I never really paid alot of attention to the solo's since I wasn't playing them but when I really listened to the solo for Hot Rockin for some reason I really liked it so I decided to try and learn it. The more I listened the more it sounded like it would be a cool little solo to trade off between two guitars and then I saw the video that was posted that's what they are doing.

So I've been practicing the firat half of the solo until last night when I broke a string and didn't have a replacement, just when I thought I had it down too!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

One more question, they are getting those notes to really squeal when they pick them. I know the technique but I'm not sure what it's called, my teacher calls it chicken picking but I don't think that is the correct term but maybe it is.
Chicken picking and pinch harmonics are different, but LOOK alike. With chicken picking you're actually picking the string with the pick, damping it with the thumb to quickly silence it, then picking it with the thumb so you get a rapid, staccato double sound. Sounds a bit like a chicken clucking. With pinch harmonics you're picking the string with the pick and barely touching it with your thumb at a harmonic node so that harmonic (and its multiples) ring.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2