Clear all

Just want some opinions

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Mexican Sunburts Tele... I like it especially the color and all.... I dont' care if its mexican or not the only thing different between mexican and american made guitars are where they are manufactured its the same exact parts...... Anyway I'm tired of having the same thing billy bob down the street has I can't afford a custom guitar so what are some add ons or things I can do to my tele to make it stand out....I already am changing pickups... I thought about a Hipshot B Bender but not sure about that... also pearl topped knobs for my control plate a pearl pickguard, I thought about going all gold hardware? Just give me some input guys/gals? I'll listen to anything.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Change the clay (maple 'board) or plain plastic (rosewood) fret markers to pearl or abalone -- this is much easier to do on rosewood. Order the markers from Stew-Mac.com.

Sunburst the headstock or give it a pearloid (MOTS) overlay to complement the new pick guard.

Flip around your Tele control plate, putting the switch to the rear. The volume and tone controls usually are swapped when doing this.

Get a bad-@ss western strap.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Custom paint the body yourself!

That's the best way to make anything "yours".

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@guitar4k)
Eminent Member

In my old Tele I put Seymore Duncan Hot Rail in the Bridge pickup and had it wired to a 5 way switch. The Hot rail is wound like a humbucker, but fits in a single coil pickup slot. The 5 way switch was tapped so that I could get a thin Tele sound or a fat humbucker sound.

All gold hardware is a nice look, I have it on both my Les Paul and my strat. But beware, gold hardware will tarnish pretty fast if you don't wipe it down after everytime you play. The gold on my LP has completely worn away at the top of the bridge and the bridge pickup.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I dont' care if its mexican or not the only thing different between mexican and american made guitars are where they are manufactured its the same exact parts.

That's not true. I don't have any good suggestions about customizing your guitar but just felt like correcting that statement.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

perhaps you could rewire it a bit. personnally I think it would be cool to use a set of coencentric pots to put gibson style tone and volume controls on it. :)

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Carpet. I'm talking about a guitar, covered entirely in carpet, man. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@cusebassman)

Or better yet, cover it in faux - fur, sold at places like Joann Fabrics. I also recover guitar amplifiers, and have done a few in Tweed to match the original Fenders, and have def taken scraps and matched em to the top of my archtop... Tweed guitar, man - that would be ridiculous. I know this wasn't a serious suggestion, buthad to be said. Also, to make some custom changes, I've thought about adding a Bigsby to my Heritage H150 since it has a fixed tail piece right now, but aside from electronics changes, thats about all I've got to offer on the matter.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Strip the body and have your local Harley-tarter-upper airbrush it with a theme dear to your heart.
or
Take it to a saddler and have him give the body a leather "coat" (like Elvis did with his acoustic)
or
Have it engraved

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Or better yet, cover it in faux - fur

Furry guitars belonging to furry musicians.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I'm thinking leopard print velvet....yeah leopard spotted velvet! 8)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote