Clear all

Keeping Your Rig Set-up

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Lately I've been keeping my pedals and stuff all plugged in to my amp for ease of use. The way it goes is I have my guitar signal > Boss OD > Boss Looper > Vox amp. The amp goes into one jack in the wall while the pedals are each hooked up to boss ac adapters, which are in turn plugged into a switch-powered surge protector. So when I want to play, I just plug my guitar into the "in" cable, switch on the surge protector, then switch on the amp. When I'm done, I do things in reverse. Question: Will leaving things set up like this damage my gear over time? Maybe I'm paranoid, but you hear about amps keeping a little bit of power after they're turned off and since everything is still plugged in and I don't know much about electronics, I don't want to inadvertently fry anything!

Thanks,
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Question: Will leaving things set up like this damage my gear over time? Maybe I'm paranoid, but you hear about amps keeping a little bit of power after they're turned off

The short answer is no.

Since you are turning off the surge supressor, then no power can get to your amp (or anything else) so it can't draw any power, 'cause there's none to draw.

Beyond that, the only possible harm that I can think of in leaving everything set up, it that you might cause a tripping hazard.

Many gigging pros mount all their pedals on a board (either a commercial product, or a chunk of plywood) and leave everything wired together, then just toss the whole she-bang into a case (the fancy ones have a lid that latches on). Get to the next gig, pull out the board, hook up one "in" one "out" and one power connection and you're good to go.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

your are good to go.

the only power in an amp which is turned off is found in the capcitors.
they store a massive ampount of power. so be careful when poking your finger in the back of an amp.
if you touch the cap to earth(ground) you wil have spikey hair and a ride to emergency.

when I want to work on my amp I take an insulate screw driver, touch the cap and the metal chassis of the amp. a huge spark is emitted and a loud pop. the pop always scares me.
now the cap is discharged and is safe to poke around.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree, no you won't do any damage as long as you remember to shut everything off when done or don't leave them on for a prolonged period of time. My set up is the same as yours, I hook up all my pedals to the surge protecter.

You might want to add an EQ pedal to that chain. An EQ does wonders for your sound.

BTW, I love your avatar! Funny stuff!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

My effects chain consists only of an EQ, I second tracker's sentiments.

Anyway, I've noticed that my Hot Rod has some residual power (capacitors?) in it after I turn it off cause I get buzzing from it for a few seconds if I touch the instrument lead/plug after pulling it from my Strat. The only reason I take the cable from my strat and amp is so the strat can go on the stand and the dust cover can go on the HRD. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the replies.

I thought you all would like it, its jimi's kitty :D

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I thought you all would like it, its jimi's kitty :D

That kitty can rock! 8) :lol:

I too leave my stuff set up most of the time also, (Boss GT-6), and use a surge protector, and have never had a problem. I do get alittle paranoid during thunder storms, and un-plug everything just to be safe. I used to work in an appliance store, and we would get a bunch of TV's & stereo equipment in for repair right after big storms, and the repair man would always tell the customers to make sure they un-plug any electrical equipment, even if using surge protectors, during big storms.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The only reason one would need to unplug the pedals would be if your using just batteries. As for the caps holding a charge. Yes some of them do but nothing to worry about unless your working on the inside of the amp.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome.

Joe

ReplyQuote