Keeping your wrist straight

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@galis)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!
Alright, I know I haven't been around much, if even at all in the last long while, but I go in and out of needing help and normally don't bother to ask a lot of questions... But here's one for you: I've been having troubles keeping my wrist straight lately (On my fretting hand) and I wanted to know, is there anything you can wear on your wrist to keep it straight?...
~Thanks

New goal #1: Buy an amp.
New goal #2: Buy a 5-string.
New goal #3: Get better then OWA at music.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

how is it bent? is it bent backwards ala limpwristed englishman, or bent forwards in a claw? are you experiencing any pain from it?
i'm asking because it's much better to fix technique problems than to go out and buy a wrist brace.

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Wearing a wrist brace may constrict your tendons and hinder movement in your fingers. Definitely a better idea to fix your technique, if that is the problem.

Also, (just me guessing) :) the neck may be angled too far towards the floor or too high. Adjust your strap to find the most comfortable position for your fretting hand and experiment to see what's best for your hand/wrist.

It's not easy having small hands... trust me, I know :P

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

A good exercise for finding an efficient left hand position is to drop your left arm at your side, turn your palm facing forward, and bend your elbow. Always position the guitar neck to your hand - never vice versa. This can be difficult to do with a strap as the guitar needs to be rather high on the torso.

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

how is it bent? is it bent backwards ala limpwristed englishman?

:lol: What a description!! It might be adviseable to keep out of Greybeard's and Chords and scales' way for a while though. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

what in the lords name.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

how is it bent? is it bent backwards ala limpwristed englishman

Oh, lordy, what a question. ROTFLMAO

There are several bits in this thread which contain very good advice, and the positon of the guitar on the chest is one of them. It is important to keep your forearm straight (ish - more or less) from the elbow to the fingers and the suggestion of letting your arm hang naturally with your palm facing forwards and then bringing it up to the guitar neck is probably the best. Remember, the guitar has to fit in with what's a comfortable hand/arm position, not the other way round.

My advice would be to raise the guitar on your chest by shortening the strap, until it reaches geek positon if necessary, and remember that the headstock should be more or less level with the eyes. That should make it a lot easier to play as the wrist is straightened out quite nicely.

Best,

Limp-wristed Al :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the classical guitar position also works well. you can use google images or something for examples. basically you have it at a 45 degree angle with the guitar body resting in your crotch instead of across your lap, with the left leg elevated and the bend of the guitar sitting on your left leg. a couple encyclopedias works well for the leg elevator. all this is reversed for lefties, of course.

ReplyQuote