Clear all

Keyboard in a guitar amp

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Can I do it, or will I wreck the amp? Also, can I run my acoustic into my electric amp?

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I used to run a keyboard into my acoustic amp all the time. The acoustic might get a little feedback. You just have to turn the gain down and not have the bass up too high on the acoustic. A little gain for the keyboard might give you a cool sound, especially if you are using an electric piano setting.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Can't you get lower bass notes on a keyboard than a guitar? Even lower than on a bass -- at least on some keyboards depending on how many octaves they have. It seems to me that there might be some potential there to damage a speaker on a guitar amp.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

True, MFreund. I should have suggested turning the bass down on the amp when using the keyboard also. Some of the keyboard amps out there say you can use a bass also, so the keyboard would probably be better thru a bass amp, but it's not like using a bass on a guitar amp (which I strongly recommend not doing). I would also think it depends on the amp's speaker size and whether or not it is a closed back amp or open back. My acoustic amp has 2 8" speakers, but I would think an amp with a 10" or 12" would be okay.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It's a 61 key rig, if I stay away from the bass range should I be alright? The amp is a 20 watt Washburn solid state, or a 5 watt Epiphone tube amp. 6" speakers on each one.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

It's a 61 key rig, if I stay away from the bass range should I be alright? The amp is a 20 watt Washburn solid state, or a 5 watt Epiphone tube amp. 6" speakers on each one.

Even if you wander into the lower octave you shouldn't cause damage, unless you have the amp cranked to 11.

Start at reasonable levels, and tinker the EQ as suggested and you should be fine.
I'd expect it to sound nasty before it does any real damage.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I was able to run my acoustic by adding a Fishman Platinum EQ/DI....I turned down the mids & no problem.

It's clear, loud, good tone.

I have a Mashall AVT50 & a Sunrise pickup.

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

BTW I want to plug the acoustic to the Valve Junior because I want to play slide and the action on the SG is insanely low.

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

We usually run our keyboard through a bass amp.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Can't you get lower bass notes on a keyboard than a guitar? Even lower than on a bass -- at least on some keyboards depending on how many octaves they have. It seems to me that there might be some potential there to damage a speaker on a guitar amp.

Yep, a full keyboard will produce notes lower than a normal 4-string bass. A 5-string bass generally goes as low as B but the 88 key piano is two notes lower (A).

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yep, a full keyboard will produce notes lower than a normal 4-string bass. A 5-string bass generally goes as low as B but the 88 key piano is two notes lower (A).

It's a 61-key. One thing I'm wondering, is which keys? Like, where does the range cut off?

ReplyQuote