Clear all

Laminates go bad over time?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering that you know solid woods improve over time, maybe like the stuff in the laminate or something might degrade over time. Or something. :? I dunno, like the plastic braces in Garrison guitars might degrade over time, so laminate woods might? I doubt it, but I may be wrong.

Stairway to Freebird!

(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

Hi. I read somewhere about how different climates affect the different
types of woods. You live in Austin? I live in Houston :0...
any ways It's really recommended , if you live in Houston to
put silica gel in your case if you're not going to be playing that
particular guitar... In austin, I think you have to worry about
Dry climate and cracking... I don't guess a plywood guitar would make
it as a family heirloom up there as yeah, once the bonding FULLY dries, that's pretty much it... but I donno. How many hundreds of years are we talking about?. Unless you like just leave you guitar on the porch at night
or something, I don't think you really have much to worry about....
I don't know about how weather over time affects the finer things....
like the fancy bridges on the megabuck acoustics or stuff like that.
I know in the Hill Country, you really have to worry about cracking in the finish. especially on the older guitars - maybe even coming unglued.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I've always thought laminated guitars were very durable and less affected by the climate. I'm actaully thinking about buying a laminated guitar I can use when I want something to drag out on the pourch and play with out having to worry about the temperature or humidity. I could be wrong but I think durability maybe the one plus a laminated guitar has over solid wood.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

They could delaminate, but they don't deform as easily as a solid top.

One of the other benefits to them is they sound how they are going to sound right out of the box. If you find one with a sound you like, that's the way it will pretty much stay.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

While experiences with one guitar do not extend to every guitar, my cheopo, laminated-everything Alvarez acoustic that I bought nearly thirty years ago is still holding up fine despite no particularly good care -- no climate control, four years of university living, hanging, buffetting, slapping, banging, moving ...

My understanding is that laminates are tougher -- both physically stronger and less prone to cracking. It's the same situation as plywood versus solid pine boards.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah... I knew that laminates are less likley to crack etc. than solid woods, but I was just wondering like over time. Thanks guys!

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

BTW Racer Y, I actually do live in the hill country, a little town very close to Austin called Dripping Springs, but its like 10 or 20 miles away. It has an okay place called Nutty Brown Restraunt but its not very big. The Eggmen(a Beatles takeoff band) are my favorite sor far. It plays alot of country, but you've gotta have variety right? My favorites in Austin are Waterloo records, Antones(SRV and Jimmie hung out there), and Stubbs BBQ. So I get my share of live music. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

wow yoyo, i envy you. i live way up in windsor ontario canada, the noise/punk-ska capitol of the world. we have EWP (east windsor punk) WTMC (windsor tech metal core) and a whole bunch of indie studios. not really much quality music unless you're into the whole "noise-core stop-metal" thing. this stuff is really heavy.. like unbelievably hardcore heavy... makes slipknot look like classics of the 40's. and then theres the ska. it literally makes me dizzy. shows are only like $5 for 4-6 hours though, and if youre into that stuff then its cool.

but back to the topic.. i dont like hard tops. laminate is the way to go. the sound DOES change over time but less noticably.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Do you mean like Netherlands Metal? Yeah, don't mean to brag or anything but if you like music, come to austin. Especially for SXSW or ACL festival. BTW, SXSW is in full swing and there was a story in our local paper about a heavy metal dude who was worshipping our SRV statue. That was pretty cool. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote