Laney Ironheart IRT60 + Blackstar Series One 4x12 woes

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@neutron2k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys

Been a VERY long time since I made a post here! (2005 I think was the last time!)

I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice. I've totally changed my rig and am now running through a Laney Ironheart 60w with Blackstar Series One 412 cab.

I switched from a Line6 Spider III HD150 and matching cab. I reused my speaker leads on the new rig.

Now for the problem.

Every so often my speakers sort of clip or fart at certain times, (mainly when playing two or three notes simultaneously or strumming on the clean channel with the ch vol @ 3).

At first I thought it was me, until yesterday. I added a Vox V847a to my boards as I really wasn't liking my old Boss PW10 anymore. As soon as I started trying to use it - MAJOR breakup and noise.

I thought it was the pedal until I tried my old Boss PW10 and that presented the same issue. I proceeded to try and isolate the issue, removed all effects bar the wah, took the cab backing off to check the speakers from the rear and looked through the grill at the front and they all look fine. I then discovered that the monkeys who originally sold me my line 6 rig several years ago gave me instrument cables instead of speaker cables!!!

Anyway today I took the head into my local store, along with the new wah. Ran it through a Blackstart 212 cab and no problems. Bought a new speaker cable crossing my fingers it would be that causing the problem but no joy.

I bunged the wah through the fx loop and no problem.

So i'm at a loss. I don't know if it IS the head causing the clipping/strange noises with the wah out front, or its the cab itself at fault.

Can anyone offer any advice here?

I have uploaded a simple mp3 of the cab miked with a SM57 at http://www.photography-prints.co.uk/wah-clipping.mp3 . Its not great quality but you can clearly hear the 'farting' noise.

Really hope its just a tube or something and not the cab but very strange how I couldn't recreate the problem on another cab.

Running the wah into an old Park G10 has no issues. However if I plug the cable from the SEND jack of the amp into my computer, the problem occurs even through the computer speakers.

cheers guys!

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

If possible , isolate the speakers one by one , either by playing one at a time or unplugging one at a time. Maybe one or more speakers are bad. On a different tack , you could try someone else's head with your cabinet and see if the problem continues .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@neutron2k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input diceman.

Unfortunatly i dont know anyone with another a head lol (bit of a loner :)). Also i wouldnt know what to mess with in terms of speakers in order to isolate them. All four are doinb it however.

Im still thinkinv it may be the valves after all, altough visually i see no probs. I ran a pair of headphones into a jaman stereo that i run in the fx loop and tge problem persisted there too. Leads me to believe theres an issue somewhere in the preamp stage maybe?

I think the reason i couldnt recreate the issue with another cab was that the valves may not have gotten warm enough?

Dunno lol

Im in talks with the shop i purchased the amp from as its only 6 weeks old.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Start snugging up screws and bolts, bro.

Start with the speaker mount bolts, then hit the ones for the baffle, finally the ones for the cab surround. Check them ALL.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote