Late Christmas present from me, to me!

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@raistx)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My new baby.

Picked up a new axe yesterday. Feels awesome. Sounds great.

I was looking for a guitar that covers blues to rock. Nearly every time I explained what type of music I like to the salesman in the stores they recomended a Fat Strat.

This one is a American Standard.

I don't really feel that my level of playing warants a guitar of this quality but I have never stuck with a hobby for this long (2 years) so I felt like rewarding myself. :D

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0110102706

Not sure why the images aren't working, here are the links to pics.

http://www.box.net/shared/ufp0y0dc6j
http://www.box.net/shared/yc9eeejrpf
http://www.box.net/shared/afvn8t0nho

(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I can't see the images unfortunately, but the Fender link works. I have a Richwood Strat copy, its a wood finish with the dark marble style pick guard. It was my first guitar, and I still love it although I play my upgrade at the moment.

A real strat is bound to sound lovely if my copy is anything to go by! Enjoy 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it a lot.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Congrats. Just think how good it'll sound in another couple of years, with more experience and practise under your belt! All the incentive you need to practise harder, really....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Congrats! :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congratulations on the new guitar!
I don't really feel that my level of playing warants a guitar of this quality but I have never stuck with a hobby for this long (2 years) so I felt like rewarding myself.

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone recently starting guitar buying a quality instrument. A quality instrument that plays well will help you improve much quicker. My first guitar was some cheap no-name acoustic, the strings were about a quarter inch above the fingerboard.

A little later I got a better quality guitar, what a difference it made. I could actually hold barre chords! :D

I also could not open the photos, what color did you get? Maple or Rosewood fretboard?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone recently starting guitar buying a quality instrument. A quality instrument that plays well will help you improve much quicker.

100% in agreement there - you buy an instrument that's a joy to pick up and play, you'll WANT to pick it up and play it. When you're starting out, most people's impulse is to be a little cagey - buy a cheapish to mid-range guitar that you'll use for a couple of years, then upgrade. I had a Squier Strat, then a Squier Tele - preferred the maple fretboard to the rosewood. Both nice guitars, though - VERY good beginners guitars. I eventually upgraded to a Fender - MIM - Tele and there is a difference - it is worth the extra money.

So I'd say, if you can afford it, AND YOU KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO STICK AT IT, invest in a quality guitar - you know it'll never let you down. One guy on these forums - Celt - bought a Strat back in the early-to-mid 70's when he was just starting out. He's had it about 35 years now - it might have seemed a lot of money at the time, but when you work out what it's cost per year - even with a couple or so changes of strings - it's got to be classed as an absolute bargain. Probably works out at $10 a year....feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, John! And yes, it is still his #1 go-to guitar.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@raistx)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Congratulations on the new guitar!
I don't really feel that my level of playing warants a guitar of this quality but I have never stuck with a hobby for this long (2 years) so I felt like rewarding myself.

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone recently starting guitar buying a quality instrument. A quality instrument that plays well will help you improve much quicker. My first guitar was some cheap no-name acoustic, the strings were about a quarter inch above the fingerboard.

A little later I got a better quality guitar, what a difference it made. I could actually hold barre chords! :D

I also could not open the photos, what color did you get? Maple or Rosewood fretboard?
Did the links to the pics not work either?

I got the rosewood fingerboard. I actually wanted the Sunburst model but ordering another one would have cost $450 more than the sale price on mine. Fender Aus put up their prices on Jan 1st because our dollar has dropped so much compared to the US.

My first guitar was a Squire Affinity, probably why this one feels comfortable for me.I tried out lots of different brands but kept drifting back to the strats.

I'm really enjoying it. I wouldn't say barre chords are effortless but much easier than my Affinity.

Back to practice.

ReplyQuote