Clear all

Laying off the lessons

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been taking lessons on and off for a few years now. My current teacher is great and even comes to the house but I'm finding while I am learning a lot theory wise… I'm still lacking in my physical skills. What I mean is I can still have problems going from an open chord to a barre chord midway down the neck. I'll hit the chord OK but there may be a dead string or two that I'll readjust my fingers on during the first few strums. I also have accuracy problems hitting individual notes during strumming for passing tones… I'll hit the wrong string or hit a couple as opposed to the one I was aiming for. I was thinking of laying off the lessons for a while and just playing songs I know and learning a few more and build on what I have learned and work on the muscle memory in my hand and picking accuracy… or is that a bad idea and should I push on with the lessons? What got me thinking to step back is we're getting into modes and improvising various modes over chord progressions and I'm finding not enough time for all that practice and also practicing just “playing the guitar” (when I get together with friends I rarely have use for the Dorian mode over a progression but am constantly making a mess of the walking tones in Friend of the Devil) :(

Charlie

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Based on the detailed accounting above, I'd say you know what you need. Learning can be cyclic, so taking a step back to review and integrate once in a while is a good idea.

Alternately, you can review this with your teacher and he can shift the focus of your lessons from theory to technique.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Charlie:

Over the years, I have periodically taken lessons. Then when I reach a point where the lessons are going in a direction I don't want to go at the moment, I will lay off the lessons and work by myself for awhile. I have been working without a teacher for the last year or so. If you really want to continue taking lessons, tell your teacher to slow up on the theory and help you with the areas you feel your playing is lacking. But, in my opinion, if it is something that you can work on by yourself, save the money and take a break from lessons for awhile. You mention that you want to work on your "physical" skills. Well, you don't need a teacher (for the most part) to work on that - just hours of practice!

Mike

ReplyQuote