Clear all

Layla Solos

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I tried to learn Layla by Eric Clapton (slow acoustic version) a while back and gave up because of the slowness of my changes from barre chords to open ones and because of the ammount of memorization for the solos.
Well I tried again recently and I can handle the barre chords now, but the solos don't seem worth the effort.

Does anyone know which scale the solos are based on? Ill try to learn to improvise my own solo.

Thanks

Cheers,

Max

(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

I actually was working my way through the unplugged version you speak of. The chord changes are hard at first, but come pretty quick. The solos are both in Dm scales, the licks are built off the Dm scale/arpeggio at the 5th fret, 5th string and the Dm pentatonic on 10thfret, 6th string. Just go over each lick very slowly with the CD (assuming you have a good tab) and then put it all together. The rhythm he uses is tricky so really LISTEN. peace

btw: I disagree, i think those solos are well worth the time

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info.

Its not that I don't think the solos aren't great -- they are excellent. I love Clapton solos, particularly the solos in Layla and Lay down sally. Its just all of the memorization.

Besides I need to learn to improvise anyway.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

Well i think for a player to be a great improviser, he/she needs to memorize countless solos. I think all that memorization and tedious work really pays off. One could learn all the scales and patterns in the world, but if they dont have those really hot licks in their hands, the feel just wont be there.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I think it is very important to carefully listen to artists solos but I think a good knowledge of scales and the fretboard - (both of which I need a great deal of improvement on) can allow you to develope your own solos. Assuming you have all of your basic teqniques down.

That being said I have memorized some shorter leads for other songs, but eventually you slowly make changes until it is a fair bit different anyway. (in my case mainly due to forgetfullness)

A friend of mine who played classical guitar - a very serious player in his youth, picked up my guitar a couple of years ago when I first looked at Layla. He had not played in 10 years.

He looked over the solo on a tab that I had printed, for a few minutes, listened to my copy of the recording and played his own version of the solo. It was excellent. I would love to acomplish a solo half that good without memorization.

That is where I would ultimately like to be!

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Sometimes it's daunting to learn pages of solo. I suggest you might begin by learning some of the licks in the solo that give it its character and then work at improvising around them.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Max,

I hear ya brother I feel the same way

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

Also remember when your improvising or practicing a solo, always try to have backing track or the CD. I find solos really come to life when there is something behind them, and get pretty boring on their own.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Also important: For Layla Unplugged, it's not just Dm pentatonic, it's also D major pentatonic. He uses notes from both, which gives it an awesome sound.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well I practiced my Dm pent scale last night, tonight will be the D maj pent. Thanks for all of the advice. Hopefully It will all get some good use. I decided to work it at the 5th fret. Later Ill learn it higher up.

Learning some of the signiture licks is a great idea Musenfreud. It saves me most of the memorization but still lets me sound like Clapton. lol. I hope that I am up to the "filler".

Thanks all.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

max: You might also want to check out some of the live versions. His version from Live At Hyde Park (he opens with Layla unplugged) is amazing, as well as another version I found online, when he's playing with Mark Knopfler. The live at hyde park is great, you can take several of the licks from there and throw them in the improv somwhere. Knopfler has a whole different take when he does the solo, so again, just to give you some variety.

The D major pentatonic is kind of what gives the solo that spanishy-latinish sound.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Interesting Taso, Ill have to check out the other recordings.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Fun fact about Layla: Duane Allman wrote the major riff for layla (I don't think its in the acoustic version, but you know the one, the classic riff that starts off the song?)... Clapton wrote the words and chord progression, but the lick is Duanes, along with a bunch of the improvising... he also played on alot of the record Layla And other assorted love songs... :)

Duane Allman (And the 1969-1972 Brothers all around) rock!!!

Sorry to trample on the Clapton topic... :oops:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

what scales are the solos....

hmmmmmm

i believe A minor pentatonic.....c major i gess....probably some d minor

$MAX$

ReplyQuote