Learn enter sandman so quickly?

33 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Try this one, it looks close.

http://www.guitarboard.com/d/deep-purple/machine-head/lazy.php

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

Back to the old whole songs vs. riffs/intros thing again? For one thing it's fun and amazing when you are starting out (and even sometimes when you're not) to be able to play something you instantly recognize and like, even if it's just a short bit. Furthermore, many songs, after a charismatic intro, will lapse into a standard chord progression or some such section that just isn't going to sound like much without maybe bass, drums, and voice, etc. Yes of course you COULD play someone the entire Enter Sandman but unless you've got some special arrangement of the song for solo guitar it is going to get a trifle boring for your listener. This applies to a zillion rock songs. Unless you're in a band or planning on trying to be there is no reason to always learn the “entire”song. But it is still fun and often a fantastic learning experience to learn certain intros and solos without playing the whole thing.
This is not to deny that learning as many complete songs is a great way to get a feel for song structure, composition, etc. I'm just saying that if a person has fun learning riffs and solos there is nothing innately wrong with that. They are probably learning something in the process.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Rats! Our Deep Purple cd doesnt have that song on it. It has smoke on the water and when my dad heard me playing that he made me listen to the song even though I've heard it a million times before :D . Anyway...it would be cool if you could email me the song. I have got winzip. Cheers.

And cheers for the TAB too.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

DayZd

I will e-mail it to you, but it might be tomorrow.

Smoke On the Water is a great song to learn as well. Everyone makes fun of it, but it has a great solo. Learn that.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

oh yeah...I never thought of the solo...well bugger me :lol: . Yeah...tomorrow will be fine...cheers.

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

DayZd

Send me your regular e-mail address. I don't think I can send it over the forum.

Wes

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

hi.
Man, my daughter is learning Smoke on the water.....ugh
I tried to show her paranoid. Maybe she'll figure it out by this week.
I'd like to teach her "trooper", but I think we gots to wait a bit to go there :)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay...I got the tab...and I heard the song on windows media player to get an idea of it (still need it burnt on cd) and I must say...its one heck of a long solo...but...quite repetitive...its not that hard to get used to and speed will come with time. Still one heck of a challenge compared to Enter Sandman.

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

The song is called "Lazy" by Deep Purple. The guitar player is none other than Ritchie Blackmore, one of the greatest (if not the greatest) Metal players of all times

No way. Its gotta be Randy Rhoads! Very sophisticated rythem, awsome lead play. Could come up with any sound, really flexible guitarist.
'Diary of a Madman' and 'Revelation (Mother Earth)' are gr8 examples of what he can do.

In fact Diary of a Madman might be a good intro to learn DayZd for a bit more of a challenge than enter sandman.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Simon

Well, I won't argue on that one, Randy Rhodes was fantastic for sure. But
Ritchie Blackmore would probably make just about everybody's top 5 list for metal players. Maybe a little dated nowadays.

And not to sound like an old puffy Geezer, but learning to play guitar from copying solos was quite a bit more difficult back in the late 60's and early 70's than today. It was not uncommon for guitar solos to last 5, 10, even 20 minutes or more. Go back and listen to some Allman Brothers! And maybe that was not so good, maybe too much of a good thing. But many songs today do not really have solos, or they are very short. I remember when Peter Frampton's famous double album came out and copying those live solos. He is great. I also spent a lot of time trying to copy Hendrix off the Band of Gypsies album. Now those are REAL guitar solos.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wes,

I have to agree with you on that. The music from the 70's all seemed to have a guitar solo in it and yet today almost none of them have solo's.

That's cuz we're in the 7 string down tuned era of music. Some of which I like and most I don't . it just all seems to sound the same. Heavy distortion w/down tuned guitars = something similar to white noise. Very unmelodic for the most part.

I got th etab and the m3P, it hurts me just to look at how long the tab is for just the intro.

Reminds me of the intro to Sweet Jane by Lou Reed off his Rock N Roll animal album. the intro is about 5-7 minutes alone.

I have to admit I haven't had the patience or the skills to tackle long solos. I've been trying to work my way up trying to find short solo's or longer lead fills to work on before I'm ready for stuff like this. but I'll give it a try just so I can slap myself back to reality I realize how little I know.

What I would like to know how to do is what in the tab is called a pronounced slide. You hear it pretty early in the solo, it's the kind of slides I always hear metal players do and it sounds really cool.

Any suggestions on how to imitatate the sound.

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Yeah I know what u mean. Like Stairway Heaven live at the TSRTS concert Page made the solo about 4 mins longer than the origional. But in Randys defense (dead guys cant talk u know hehe) if you listen to the Tribute CD (His playing actually is better live) he does a sorta show-off type thing of just him playing some lead stuff for a few mins, impressive stuff. Although I've always considered him a gr8 more for his sophisticated rythem - No Bone Movies being a gd example

I really think hard rock and metal hav gone down over the last decade. You never hear any solos, its all just tuned down (no offense to anyone) fairly tallentless stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member

gghj

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member

"Were raising up a generation of kids who think they can just wear there pants halfway down there , detune, and bang away. *, some of my kids can play that stuff. Doing that doesnt make you cool. it makes you a geek."-Dave Mustaine

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

If you want some cool riffs and solos try anything by AC/DC.The riffs and solos'are relatively easy to get to grips with and just keep sounding better and better the more you play them.Most of the solos are pretty basic blues progressions with some unique Angus Young touches thrown in.Great for modifying and incorporating into your own songs.

enjoy!

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3