Clear all

learning songs with lyrics

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering how people go about learning songs. I don't know how you all others do it but the way I seem to be doing it lately is learning the guitar part, and then trying to do the words after I feel a bit comfortable with doing the guitar part I start trying to play and sing the words at the same time....still working on trying to memorize the words and so sometimes I sort of flub the lyrics but not worry about it so much in the beginning. Just wondering if anyone else goes about it the same way.

Right now I'm trying to teach myself a simple guitar version of Twenty Flight Rock (Eddy Cochran). So I found a video of Sir Paul McCartney (The cute one) doing it on you tube and basically just trying to fake his version of it. Seems a fairly easy bluesy rock and roll shuffle.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think everyone has a little trouble playing and singing at first. Like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it gets. I pretty much started singing as soon as I started playing. Actually I did quite a bit of singing before I ever played guitar. But I think it helps at first to start with a very basic strum. You might strum all quarter notes with a simple downstrum. This does not require a whole lot of concentration. And if you tap a foot to keep good time it is even easier. Then just sing along. I would say concentrate more on your voice and strum evenly in the background. Once you get a feel for the song you can alternate strum up and down.

But start slow until you develop a feel for the song and build up to speed. With practice it becomes pretty easy, after awhile you hardly think about it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I have to get the guitar part down well enough to do it in my sleep before I can even contemplate singing, but that's because I'm a lousy (but slowly improving) singer so that requires every bit of concentration. but I will also practise singing stuff without my guitar, so I keep challenging my voice beyond what I can currently play-and-sing. and this after years of "I pla guitar so I don't have to sing!" lol

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, this seems a simple enough song. It's more or less an open power chord blues shuffle in A. Or at least I can fake it in that manner. :lol:

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It does get easier with practice. I've been doing it for a while now so it gomes fairly easy. Wish the voice sounded better though. :roll: What I find hard is certain songs by bands where the singer doesn't play an instrument. That can get tricky.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

When I'm trying to learn the lyrics to a song, I usually play it in my car to and from work in and endless loop for a couple of days.
If I did that at home, it would drive everyone else nuts! But I just keep singing along in the car and have the words memorized in no time!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

TR - I totally agree on that point!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote