Skip to content
Learning the electr...

Notifications
Clear all

Learning the electric guitar from scratch?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@unam45)
Topic starter  

Hello Everyone!
I am 16 years old and I have always had a deep interest in music. I would to receive some advice regarding how to go about learning to play the electric guitar from scratch while developing proper technique/avoiding the formation of bad habits.

Should I self-teach myself using online aid? Should I seek private lessons (my school program is fairly rigorous and often unreliable, which makes me lean more towards self-teaching)? How frequently and for how long should I practice? If I do self-teach myself, what are some good online sources? What are some common mistakes? What goals should I set for each of my first twelve months of learning (what should I make sure to cover)?

And any other information or tips you might deem useful to share.

I enjoy a broad range of music, and therefore would like to be able to play a broad range of music, or at least varying genres of rock. This desire for versatility along with some very limited knowledge on the topic has led me to the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top Pro. I just love the way it looks, and I always seem to come back to it in terms of sound (although who am I to judge this at this point without even having developed an ear for it yet). I just think that it is likely to be my first guitar, and remain my only guitar until I can afford its Gibson counterpart (in some many years). In terms of amplifier, however, I am much less decided. I have stumbled upon the Fender Mustang I, which has a very appealing price-tag and set of features offering versatility.

What are your recommendations or advice?