Leaving the bedroom

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Reactions
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd ask how do you breakout from learning to play on your own in the spare bedroom?

I know after the last year or so that I'm getting better at playing but I feel it won't be long before I get stagnated, there's only so much you can develop alone.(Thank God for guitarnoise!)

How did any of you go about finding other like minded people of the same level and age group, local to you to try jamming with and learn from each other?

Best regards
Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You could try posting a message on the "gigs & jams" forum, perhaps an ad in the local music shop. It'll let the world know you're there but make sure you give a few basic details, like (obviously) music taste, travelling radius, availability.

Good luck!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Well it's funny you should ask i'm kinda going through this process now. My Thread - Project New Band -

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

im not planning on going out to meet people..

i want to meet friends as friends then develop through that, if that doesnt happen, tough for me..

i want to go to the Royal College of Music in London and while down there, meet some people and go from there..

the more desperate you are, the more you jump at chances to be in a band.. and most of them will be crap, really make sure it feels right before you go into a band cos its harder to leave than it is to join.

at least thats my belief anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

the more desperate you are, the more you jump at chances to be in a band.. and most of them will be crap

Everybody ends up spending some time with crap bands, I think. When you find yourself in that situation, be a pro - do the best you can, make the act sound as good as you can. If you're playing out in public, eventually someone notices you're good, and you get the chance to be in a not-so-crappy band :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You don't always want to go out and find someone at "your" level. You can learn alot from people above your level. Most of the time they have no problem showing you a couple of things and then from there you have something else to keep you busy while practicing.

Not to say that people at your level can't. But, it's good to play with people from all levels.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

i meant...

to be in a band with people your age, who are friends, who you have a good time with and like..

going into a band with strangers who you dont know and could really annoy you isnt a good thing (but can be, as Tom said :wink: )

but i wouldnt.. i'd want the band to be good, and fun, with people you know you can work well with..

i'd rather be in a not-so good fun band with friends, rather than be "reasonable" with people i dont like.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

be in any band you can. Bring your guitar to the middle of town and plop down on a bench and play. Someone will notice you.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@blaine)
Trusted Member

I'm goin to agree with Izabella only because I stretched out and played in a band that I didn't think was normal.... I typically listen to rock music, but I listen to a few artists out of that.. Well, this couple in their 60's from my church asked me to played with their band.. (just the guy, the wife just liked that stuff)... He played guitar and sang and another guy did lead (he is really good) and one guy played drums and then sometimes another family would come and the dad would play guitar and sing, the wife would play keyboard and sing and the son would play bass... All these people were great but they played old country songs that I didn't even know and i wouldnt normally listen to... Well, i got to playin rhythm guitar with them and it was awesome!!! It was fun and we sounded really good... all these ppl were awesome.. so not only did i get to learn tons but i got to play in a band... playing with them got me into learning how to playin a certain keys and stuff cuz i barely had music... ANYWAY!! to make a long story short... i agree with izabella...

Blaine Adams

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Tough to say I've been in the situation before and it's not easy.

Especially since I'm an adult beginner it's hard finding people the same skill level and age.

I originally put a flyer asking people to jam at my teachers studio and finally hooked up with a guy who's daughter takes lessons.

Even met someone form here till they dumped us...I guess we sucked to much...J/K.

It's definitely not the same hooking up with strangers than hooking up with friends but it isn't necessarily bad, just different.

I wish I was into this when I was younger cause my friends and I used to sit around for hours with nothing to do..it woulda been cool to start a band.

But oh well that's not an option for me anymore.

If you don't have a bunch of friends to start playing with your gonna have to go out and find them, put up flyers, go to open mic's if you take lessons ask your teacher.

You'll find someone.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Getting out and playing with others is a great experience. once you get over the initial first couple times you'll do just fine, don't worry about what others think or say. just play. Be yourself and let your guitar do all the talking.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

As far as strangers go.

Think of it this way. Who is your best friend, the person you like to hang out with the most and the person you just can't explain why other than you guys/gals just "click".

Well guess what. THEY were strangers to before you let them into your own circle called "life". That's the way it is. Give them a shot if it doesn't work out, atleast you tried.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, good post. I think I'd start with a pen and a pad of paper so you can get to the root of the problem.

Why do you want to get out of the bedroom? Is it only because you think you'll stagnate or is there more?

What are your goals in playing/practicing guitar? To blow off steam at the end of the day? To get good enough to get in a band? To make money from playing?

What are you willing to do (read: sacrafice) to reach any of your goals?

Once you've identifed that you can go from there. I believe there was another post maybe a month or two ago that had many replies on how to get to playing with others.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

You may be more comfortable with people in your age group, but I wouldn't recommend people of your same ability. You need to get up with folks that are better than you. I think that is one of the best way to learn and improve. I'd hang out at places that guitar players hang. A church with a good music program is a good place. I've meet some fantastic guitar players in church. The group I'm in often invites people to play with us on practice nights. Putting up a notice at the local guitar store is another good way to meet other players.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

Just to keep you all informed. I have left the bedroom!

My next door neighbour is also learning guitar and she has kindly organised a weekly Jam session for five of us at her house. All of us are acoustic players of varoius learning abilities.

Monday last was our first meeting, unfortunately only three of us were able to make the date.

I thought I'd be all fingers a thumbs when we started jamming because I'd never played with others before, but it was great. We tackled songs which all of us were comfortable with and the result was was really good once we got going.

All those long hours practicing alone were paying off. The three of us found that we all like similar music styles. We even set each other homework tasks, either learning a new chord or one of each others songs ready for the next jam.

Can't wait till next Monday!
especially if all five can make it.

Much thanks to Anita my neighbour and to Paul our other jamming friend.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2