Clear all

Left hand finger technique

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ryaneckbo)
Topic starter  

Hello,

I have a question: when you are playing say a baseline riff or melody on the lower (pitched) strings, do you let your fingers drop across the upper ones, muting them in the process, so that it is more comfortable to play and there is less bend in your left hand wrist? Or do you try and keep the thumb behind the neck so that your fingers only fret/touch the strings being played? I can't avoid bending my wrist doing the latter, no matter how I sit and hold the guitar, but not too sure if this is necessarily a bad thing or not.

ryan

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I would let your fingers mute those strings, it is essential to do this when playing with distortion or you'll get a very unpleasant sound coming out of your amp. However, in Classical style it is essential to NOT mute these other strings and your thumb must be behind the neck at all time, this is because Classical music on guitar requires alot of stretching and proper technique.

It's tough to figure out what hand position to do when but as a general tip: when bending or have no extreme stretching to do, you can let your thumb hang over the neck (this will make your bending alot better). However, if you are playing classical guitar, or need to do alot of technically demanding formations and stretches, then i would keep your thumb behind the neck and your fingers pretty straight.

A good thing would be to practice things (that don't contain bending) with your thumb behind the neck of the guitar, this has always helped me make my fretting hand stronger and faster.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've found that for me.....but I do have VERY large hands....that on songs like "The Needle and the Damage Done" and "You've got to hide your love away" it's easier to play the descending bass-line with my thumb.... for some reason, it just feels right.....

Then again, I tend to use mini-barres instead of full barres and fret the bass notes with my thumb on full chords....

But like I said, it does help if you have arms so long and hands so big they tend to trail on the ground when you're walking......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

As Steve-O said learn both, I have just switched to learning classical method with my thumb behind the neck as my instructor has been after me to do. Now that I have been doing this a while it is easier to do and does feel better. Less tension in the body. But for bends it is thumb on the side of the neck to help support the bend. YMMV

John M

ReplyQuote
(@ryaneckbo)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips guys.

ReplyQuote