Clear all

Legato troubles.

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I'm having some trouble getting a good sound out of pulloffs and hammerons using my ring finger and pinky. Especially with pulloffs with my pinky on the lower (in pitch) strings. Note: This is an acoustic guitar...I have no trouble on my electric. Do you guys pulloff up or down (like in relation to the fret board?). How can I exercise finger dependence (I'm feeling a lot of tension in my middle finger when I'm keeping it still and moving my pinky in a pull off.).

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Always pull down not straight up, if you are having trouble, trill between all fingers. I'll write a longer response later if necessary, @ work now :D

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

95% of the time I pull-off in a downwards direction (....hmm, that sounds very dodgy), but there are a couple of cases where i push upwards off the string. In one piece i play i can't seem to avoid sounding the string below when moving my finger downwards but if i push up it doesn't matter if i hit the string above because another finger is muting it.

It sounds like the problem you are having is simply a strength/co-ordination one in your ring and pinky fingers. Unfortunately the only remedy I know for that is practice. Just remember what Tiger Wood's dad said, "Practice makes permanent, perfect practice makes perfect", so take it slow and steady!

Some patterns you could play to help would be things like 1 2 1 3 1 4 and the reverse - 4 1 3 1 2 1 on each string.

ReplyQuote