Clear all

Lesonns or not lessons (TELL ME!)

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok, i be a guitar man. no lessons. play for half year. play solos to enter sandman, aint talkin bout love, when im gone, dr worm, reptilia, 7 nation army,cofortably numb, i believe in a thing called love, and, with arms wide open. 8) learning the trooper and eruption. lessons or not? :?:

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

take lessons

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

lessons do much mroe than make you play better, they help you play longer, technique is really important in guitar, because it's actually a very hazardous hobby, more instrument injuries come from guitar than any other instrument, if you don't want tendonitis, or, CT(I don't want to say the whole word, gives me the chills :( ) you'd better take lessons.

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Always try to take lessons. No matter how talented, skilled and experienced you (think you) are. The worst that can be happen is that you play better. The best is you play much better. What's to lose?

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

I remember reading a Randy Rhodes interview and he said he was always seeking out good teachers to take lessons from, even when he was on tour with Ozzy. I personally thought he was an outstanding guitarist and musician, and dying so early on in his career I often wondered how much better he would have become. Bottom line is if Randy Rhodes thought that guitar lessons would benifit his playing, It would probably benifit you or me to take lessons.

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

Tiger Woods' golf game has been in the toilet ever since he fired his swing coach. Even if you are the best in the world at what you do, you can always benefit from professional instruction.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Lessons can only help!

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

i take pride in never having a lesson..

seeing how far i have came in 2 years..

it doesnt work for everyone, i only know i hate lessons because i dont like being told what to do, and its always at my pace.. its only that i can see where i need to improve and i know how to teach myself by seeing my faults and watching others play and emulate techniques.

just like people need to be told what to do.. if you dont need to be told what to do, then being told what to do will just annoy you, this is what i find.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nonsense. It's true that not every teacher would work, but everyone can find someone who knows more, can play better and can show them how to do it the way they want it to be shown. Individual lessons will be at your pace. They will work on whatever you want to work on. So you came far in two years with no help? You would have been further with lessons. Don't be satisfied with what you did, always try to go faster.

The only real reason not to take lessons is when you cannot financially afford it (or when you just don't care that much about guitar, which is a pretty solid reason as well).

As for me, I hate lessons of pretty much every kind. But I know there are folks out there who can help me become better, so I'll start with my lessons soon. And if that specific teacher doesn't work, I'll find a new one. Until I find the right teacher.

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

man that dudes gonna have a hard time in life. :shock:

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I've been teaching myself and doign quite well, but I've also been playing Piano for years so some problems people run into with technique may not be much of a problem with me. I also have a huuge passion for music, and that drives me to perfect my playing.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I've been playing for a year, no lessons, but lately I seem to be stuck in a rut, just playing the same things over and over (and honestly not that well), so this coming Monday I start taking lessons, I can't wait.

Like the person above I'm proud of where I've gotten on my own, but the difference is I'm not to proud to ask for help when I need it...
I like people telling me what to do, "when it's the right thing to do".

My problem is I dont know anyone to play with, so it's really tough, just having another person to jam with is going to be great, and hey, he can't be too critical of my playing (like wife) I'm paying him.... Anyway I really hope it will speed up the learning curve.

Peace..

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_monkey)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i know people 2 jam with and 1 thing what do i do to avoid ct

YEAH! GUITAR ROCK! I ROCK! YOU ROCK! HAHA, YEAH RIGHT. LOL. ROCK ON!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I've always found lessons with a good teacher to be a great experience.

Please try to keep posts on topic, all right? I've had to delete several random comments lately.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

i know people 2 jam with and 1 thing what do i do to avoid ct
If I'm interpreting this unclear question correctly, you're asking what you can do to avoid giving yourself carpal tunnel syndrome. All you need to do is play with proper technique. It's best learned from a good teacher, because then you have someone to tell you exactly what you're doing wrong.

ReplyQuote