Clear all

Little Noise When Tuning

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Little "clink" when tuning strings. Sounds like it's at the saddle. I've seen these graphite pencils. Next time I change my strings, should I this on the nut and the saddle?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Can't hurt. This usually is more of a nut than a saddle problem. If graphite doesn't help, it may be because one or more nut slots is a little narrow and needs a little widening or reshaping.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks gnease. I'll try graphite first then.

Another thing with it, I did a full bend on the g string and it got out of tune.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Wound G? They're the worse culprit for sticking at the nut (presumably because the nut can't be made wide enough as standard to account for people who use a plain G). It's basically sticking as you tune up, leaving the part of the string from the nut to the tuning peg with more tension than the part of the string from the nut to the bridge. When you bend, you put more tension on the latter side which pulls it through the nut a bit, but when you release the bend the balance of tension between the two parts has changed and you need to retune. I generally widen the nut slot by using an old wound G string as an improvised file - just be careful you don't make it lower as well as wider :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wound G? They're the worse culprit for sticking at the nut (presumably because the nut can't be made wide enough as standard to account for people who use a plain G). It's basically sticking as you tune up, leaving the part of the string from the nut to the tuning peg with more tension than the part of the string from the nut to the bridge. When you bend, you put more tension on the latter side which pulls it through the nut a bit, but when you release the bend the balance of tension between the two parts has changed and you need to retune. I generally widen the nut slot by using an old wound G string as an improvised file - just be careful you don't make it lower as well as wider :)

Exactly. And the associated "sticky nut" tuning noise is often a very high pitched "PING!" as the tension differential become great enough to finally pull the stuck string through the nut slot. That causes the string segment between the nut and tuner capstan to vibrate.

+1 on filing with an old, wound G string.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

true. also look at how you wound your string to the post. I have found when I've been in a hurry restringing
I invariably wind the string incorrectly and it shifts on the post later on. it can make a ping noise.
another thing to consider. have you went to a larger gauge string?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I find I get this *ping* noise sometimes as well. I figured it was the just the string making a little noise as it is stretched back to higher tension.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I have the same problem with the G on my acoustic...

I try to tune it with a tuner and the arrow doesn't move even if I tight the string (the sound doesn't seem to change) and then, that CLINK sound came out of the tuning key and my tuner tells me that the string is too tight... It really is.. I tought my string would have break...

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nope, not wound. It's regular wire, whatever the term is. It's on my EPI LP. Same guage I've been using for years. I think I'll get one of those graphite pencils this week and try that when I change the strings. They're due anyhow.

One thing. Should I also graphite the saddle?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Can't hurt.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Nope, not wound. It's regular wire, whatever the term is. It's on my EPI LP. Same guage I've been using for years. I think I'll get one of those graphite pencils this week and try that when I change the strings. They're due anyhow.

I do the nut slots and the saddles. Why? There is tension on all those spots.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I do the nut slots and the saddles. Why? There is tension on all those spots.

That's about what I wuz thinking. Just wanted to make sure it was not a no-no before I did it.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

After you do the saddles wipe away the excess. You'll end up getting some of that gunk on your picking hand when palm muting chords. But only for awhile.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I went to the guitar store yesterday. Turns out I need something called Nut Sauce. Alas, they were out. :roll:

So, I'm thinking of running do the auto parts store and seeing what they might have.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They'll have lanolin grease. Get some. I've been using pure anhydrous lanolin on my nuts. Great stuff! :mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2