Clear all

Little Noise When Tuning

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

This conversation is about to go downhill fast. :)

So, I told my wife that I need to get some nut sauce because my g-string was binding, especially when I bent. She was quick though, and made some reference about the new Big Muff I just got.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@houndog)
Eminent Member

Hello,
you may also want to look at the tuning peg. As the winding string may be lying over a wind and slipping off when you bend.

Simply loosen of and wind back so that the strng is secure.

adios,
Lovat

..play it..I just hit the damn thing...

Groovecats...The dawg at the bottom end

Houndog Fraser sliding about

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

This may sound crazy but I just use a regular old pencil and give it a couple of swipes across the string groove at the nut. I've got two guitars that pop like that and this fixes it every time.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have a multitude of guitars and don't really have this problem. :? Could be because I use those wimpy 9's though. :mrgreen:

Ric, I am very particular what I put on my nuts. I do know that lanolin can be soothing though. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's good slick stuff.

If the slots are too tight, as when you've gone to larger gauge strings, "sawing" the larger string in the slot for a bit will loosen it up. Then you can apply your lubricant of choice.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

This may sound crazy but I just use a regular old pencil and give it a couple of swipes across the string groove at the nut. I've got two guitars that pop like that and this fixes it every time.
That's because pencil "lead" is graphite.
Lead was originally used but because of lead's toxic effects, carbon in graphite form (not diamond) was substituted.
But the misnomer "pencil lead" is still around.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Yup, I know that :) No need to buy anything more than a #2 pencil.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2