Skip to content
Long-term Backpacki...

Notifications
Clear all

Long-term Backpacking with a Guitar (advice needed)

28 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I haven't backpacked seriously in a long long time, and never more than a week or so but I really have to agree with KP on this.

Every ounce of weight really counts and I can't imagine lugging a guitar around for a whole year. After about a week I'd be throwing it in the garbage.

Even if the weight wasn't the biggest issue just the bulkyness of the guitar is going to be a pain.

I'd go with the harmonica or maybe a kazoo!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Kingpatzer wrote: There are hundreds of people every year who get themselves into real trouble backpacking in areas they know, only a few miles from modern medical facilities.

A couple days ago two young men (20 years old) went hunting in a small marsh/preserve near here. They have been in the marsh many times throughout their lives. Their compass got lost in the water, their cellphone went dead, and they spent 17 hours lost while area firefighters searched for them. They finally made a pile of cattails to lay on above the water line, and were found huddled together there after a helicopter was brought in. They are being treated for hypothermia and are lucky to be alive. This happened in a well populated area, within half a mile of well-travelled highways.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

delete

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

In the right set of circumstances it can be an error that costs you your life.

Wow. I know you take your packing very seriously, but I'm not sure he is talking about the same kind of extreme, hanging off the side of a cliff, BPing that you are refering to. I can't imagine going a year without a guitar. If given the choice between walking around in the forest for 365 days and being able to play guitar, I honestly have to say that I'm staying home.

I agree with the suggestion to buy a beater and not be afraid to dump it if it gets broken. Perhaps you could attach it to your back with a safety "rip: chord that you could pull and free yourself in case you find yourself hanging from a cliff somewhere. :shock:

Harmonica is nice, but I would find the smallest, cheapest POS and give it a shot. I doubt he plans to carry a years worth of rations on his back anyway.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Mr. Jonesey,

I'm not talking about extreme hanging off of cliffs.

Just being out and about on a flat, level, clear trail but having a sudden storm come up can be a life threatening event if you don't have the right gear with you.

On a long camping trip gear gets worn. It's essential to have spares and repair kits, etc. That stuff takes up weight.

The difference between carrying 60# on your back and 65# is HUGE over the course of thousands of steps.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

I trust ya, man. It sounds like you are very passionate about your packing. I think that's great, but I personally wouldn't endeaver on a long trek if I couldn't have a guitar with me. The life or death thing seems a little extreme to me. I would still try to find a way to make it work or just find a different form of exercise/hobby.

I would try out something like this:

http://www.soundexchange2.com/browseproducts/Montana-MTG1-Travel-Guitar.HTML

It is small and only 2.5#. I can't imagine having to sacrifice my life trying to tote this thing around. And for $75 I would just toss it if it became too much of a chore. My that's just coming from an inexperienced hiker. I'm sure you are probably right. But really, life or death?

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Another one that you might consider:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=45805&productId=794670

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

GPS = 1#, extra batteries adds to it.

Lots of campers choose to go without one. It's not a necessarily bad choice, but sadly, it's usually the less experienced bp'ers who go without it. The guys who really do know how to deal with emergencies through years of experience are the one's who have 'em.

And Mr. Jonesy, it's not about being extreme -- people die on day hikes ALL THE TIME.

Weather, accidents, and other shit happen.

This guy is going a year to foreign countries, now I'm passionate as all get out about my guitar, but a year long packing trip is not the place for one -- weight and space are too precious on a backpack.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

double post

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

Well, there goes my dreams of playing tuba on Mount Everest.

i know it's a joke, but you could get it to everest base camp. don't know if you'd have the lungs to play it there, though.

And my lips would probably freeze to the mouthpiece anyway, because base camp is probably cold enough itself.

ReplyQuote
(@minty)
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for all the replys, it is interesting to see the variation on opinions.

kingpatzer, I do see were you are coming from in terms of saving weight/space in the backpack etc but perhaps you are thinking a little more extreme travel than I am anticipating.

Although I will be travailing with the bare essentials (one pair of shoes and a small pack etc) this is more for the convenience of being able to stash a bag overhead on busses and walk distances than for serious expeditions in life threatening environments. I shall be doing what most travels do and will be staying in hostels, getting around countries by long hall bus rides etc. Its not going to be luxurious sleeping but I will be camping or sleeping rough.

I have narrowed by options down to two choices (one I had not really considered). After playing on more or less every small sized “travel” guitar around I have come to conclusion they are just not worth it, they seem too expensive and sound is just too weak to enjoy.

The larger baby guitars however seem a much better option, Martin LX and the Baby Taylor both sound superb for the size and I would be perfectly happy taking either if not for the cost, and I am not saying they are not worth the money, just that if within a week of trekking around Vietnam my expensive guitar was trashed I would be gutted.

So the last option, a few you suggested buying some really cheap so it would not matter too much if it broke or if i decided I didn't want to carry it around anymore. And I started thinking, why not just buy one out there!

I would imagine decent guitars could be had for very little money in SE Asia, saves taking it on the flight out there or having to worry about bringing it back if didn't cost much.

I am going to keep an eye on ebay for cheap baby guitars but if nothing comes up for £100 or less by the time I leave then I think my plan will be to buy a $20 guitar on the steets of Bangkok!

Thanks for all the help!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Id buy one at home and take it. You cant trust those asian guitars... they might have some sort of disease or something...

Wait a tick... i just realized all of my guitars are made in either Japan, Korea, or China. Nevermind that then.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2