Notifications
Clear all

Lookin' for a capo and a 12 string

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@deejay88)
Topic starter  

Hello. I need some people to give their feedback on a good SLIDING capo and an affordable but decent quality 12 string acoustic guitar.

I found capos like the "quick draw" (quickdrawcapo.com), but wonder about their quality. I have a friend with a Yamaha 12 string, I like the sound.... Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Looking up,
D.J.

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I dont know about their 12 string capos, but the shubb is my favorite: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/361504/

For 12 string guitars, what do you mean by affordable? If you were a millionare it could be like 4,000 bucks! I would reccomend checking out the Godin family of brands, Seagull especially.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Forgot the Godin link: http://www.godinguitars.com/

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

People may gripe about Ovations, but one place in which they truly excel is in the 12 string department. Simply THE best 12 string out there ( and for loads less than any Martin or somesuch).

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@deejay88)
Topic starter  

Hey. the godin seagulls are awesome guitars, but that's definitely above my price range (16 year old: two jobs, pays own insurance, cell phone, gas, etc.). Ovations are a little less, but still up there. Under $200 is ideal (of course there might not be anything worthwhile out there for that little. that's why i need you guys...). are there any more choices?

Still lookin' for a SLIDING capo (i only need one for my six string now. but if there's one out there that will work well with both six and twelve, i may as well get it....).

thanks.

d.j.

Looking up,
D.J.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

go to the music123 outlet and look there.

This is the second post recently looking for a decent quality guitar for under $200. Sorry to rain on your parade but it ain't happening. Save up for a while until you can get to the $400 to $500 range.

You will be so much happier with a decent quality guitar two months from now than you will be in two months with a piece of junk.

You can even get a Martin 12 for $549

http://www.music123.com/Martin-D12X1-i69394.music

ReplyQuote
(@deejay88)
Topic starter  

so is a $200 epi or yamaha 12 string a piece of junk? i'm not much of a musician, so if it tunes correctly and has a decent sound, i'm happy.... but if you think i should wait for a better instrument, i'd be willing to.

thanks.
D.J.

Looking up,
D.J.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Perhaps piece of junk was too strong a phrase, but you get what you pay for.

A guitar sold for less than $200 is cutting corners somewhere. Laminate top, back and side, plastic for the nut and saddle, lack of QA, cheap tuners, etc.

You don't need to spend $10,000 on a guitar, but if you buy something with high action, bad intonation, that won't stay in tune, that doesn't sound good, that falls apart in a year, well that isn't helping matters any.

Is the sub $200 Epi 12 string a piece of junk? Well, having played one once, yes IMO it is.

Really, and I'm not saying this to be a pretentious know it all, save up a bit. It will be worth it in the not so long run.

ReplyQuote
(@deejay88)
Topic starter  

ok. i'll save up.... i appreciate your advice.

what's your favorite sliding capo?

thx agn.
D.J.

Looking up,
D.J.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW an exellent route is going used... you can get some exellent deals on guitars when its used... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote