Clear all

Looking for a good song...

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@srmaximo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

for a family I teach. Mom and Dad play acoustic guitar. Older brother is getting to be a great electric guitarist--he's working on the final solo in Sweet Child 'o Mine right now, and is playing it better than I can. Older sister sings. Younger sister plays bass. Younger brother plays a little guitar (he's only seven).

They just got done working on "American Girl" by Tom Petty, which was the PERFECT song for them--it has some challenging lead guitar parts for the older brother, but still fairly simply rhythm guitar for mom and dad (who don't have much time to practice), and there's nothing raunchy in the lyrics. Other songs they've done have been "Train in Vain" by the Clash, "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen, "Walk On" by U2, and "It's the End of the World as We Know It" by REM.

Now I'm looking for the next perfect song. I know someone out there knows what it is...

They like Springsteen, The Stones, U2, Queen, Bowie, Rod Stewart, The Clash, Van Morrison...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

Teach Guitar
Free Guitar Tabs
Strum Patterns

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

How about "Wish You Were Here" By Pink Floyd the rhythm is fairly simple and the lead is definitely not too easy. See it here WYWH Rhythm and here WYWH Lead. Man I wish I had some jammers in my family!!!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@rsoxfan1123)

Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (U2) is not technically demanding and is a great song.

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

U2's When Love comes to town is simple and a very great (and heavy) song.

PK :)

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Melissa has a cool electric part over acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That family reminds me of the old Johnny Cash tune;

Daddy sang bass,
Mama sang tenor.
Me and little brother would join right in there.
In the sky, Lord, in the sky.

:D

I can think of a few Rolling Stones songs. You Can't Always Get What You Want is very simple, just C, F, and D7 chords, but would give older brother a chance to improvise Blues licks.

Paint It Black is fairly easy and has that cool sitar sounding guitar lick.

Mother's Little Helper is also a pretty easy strum but has a nice electric guitar riff.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Melissa has a cool electric part over acoustic.

I like the acoustic version better. The lead sounds alot nicer.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Don't ignore 'Summer Rain' by U2.And of course , 'Still haven't found' is just toooo great :)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

make em learn hansen and partridge family songs.
mmm bop

ReplyQuote