Notifications
Clear all

Looking for a great blues book

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kappie)
Topic starter  

Well thanks guys. So far those books aren't exactly what I'm looking for, but maybe I'll buy one of them.

On what scrybe said; I already transribe licks frequently, what do you advise for rhythm parts? I'm very interested in that, but those are a lot harder to hear on records, and transcribe even harder.

The main thing is to get the rhythm down - there's a few rhythms that show up time and again with small variations in the actual pattern, so you can do fine with just copping the general outline and ad-libbing from there. The 12/8 shuffle is a key one to learn, I'd expect any blues book to have that in it. Another key thing is to approach the 4 chord from one step above. So, a blues in A would go....

A7- A7- A7- A7-
D7- D7- A7- A7-
E7- D7- A7- E7-

Between the last A7 of the first line and the D7 starting the second line, throw in an Eb7 and slide down into the D7 from there. Another trick frequently used is to slide into the 7th chord from one step (one fret) below. You can do this second trick on all the chords in a 12 bar.

If I can find the time in the next few weeks, I'll notate a few key blues rhythm parts and send them to you. PM me about it in a week or so to remind me. Once you try them out, you'll spot them on record after record, they're so well used.

Remember, a lot of blues guys often didn't play with a keys player or second guitarist on a regular basis, so they'd stop playing while singing and just play lead fills between their lines (e.g. BB King and SRV both do this extensively) - aint nuthin' wrong with that. And it can be a great entry-point to soloing, too, as you'll be developing licks but don't have to worry too much about playing lead for an extended period of time.

Oh, the other well-used trick is to harmonise a line in 6ths. If you check the Theory section of the forums, there's a thread or two on 6ths in there where I explained a fair bit about it quite recently. 6ths get used heavily in blues and soul music.

I have a few really cool blues licks. And I have been meaning to notate my own material on a regular basis for practice so, if I pull my finger out on it all, I'll jot those down for you as well.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tips already, and I would love you to send some rhythm parts!

Oh and I already have transcribe btw, great software. And I totally get your point on playing lead for a longer period of time. I just can't seem to play anything interesting for longer than a minute. Maybe I should just go back to basics and try to get habits I built up out of my system.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2