Clear all

Looking for help buying next guitar

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about upgrading. I play metal, the blues, and rock. I currently have a Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocolypse Pro. The problem is I think all of the cut outs are hurting my tone. Expecially now that I have a tube amp, I'm really paying attention to tone. I'm thinking about getting a new guitar with more depth to its sound. What should I look for? I know I want Humbuckers again, and a nice neck is important as well. I also have a tight budget. I only have around 150 + what I get for my guitar + what I get for my amp. I have an old behringer amp that I don't use anymore because I have my new tube amp now. I'm hoping to get 150 on the amp, I bought it for 200 used, and 200 for the guitar, which I bought for 175 (It was a steal, it lists for $700, sells new for $300 now, $400 when I bought it). Are these reasonable for trade ins? Everything is as good as condition as the day I bought it. I take care of my gear.

IF anyone has any tips for:
A. What to buy
B. What to ask for on the gear

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Why don't you try an EQ first? You can alter what your missing.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

yeah an EQ might help. I don't think you'll get those prices on trade in though. You can try and you may get lucky, but most guitar stores I have been in give you like 40 to 50 for that amp so they can sell it for 150 and about 75 to a 100 on the guitar so they can sell it for 200. Check out Jackson guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been looking at the Agile's that everyone so highly recommends. I like them! I'm trying to decide which one of them suites me. I found Two, I want to know which would suite me more.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al-3000goldhum.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/al-2800blueq.html

Heres the specs for the different model numbers

http://www.rondomusic.net/alspec.html

How important is the grade of the top?
What does center jointed mean in reference to the body?
Ebony vs. Rosewood Fretboard?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Agile's are great, at least the one I have is great. It is solid, stays in tune, sounds great, feels great, looks awesome and is overall a great value.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I have the Agile AL-2000 Gold Top and I LOVE IT! It is my primary guitar. The stock pickups are excellent and the neck is great. I personally think they are far better than the Epiphones.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

you won't get much for that amp. I traded in an Ibanez amp of similar worth (I couldn't sell it privately, and i wanted to get rid of it, so i traded it in to GC). They gave me $25. Honestly I couldnt wait to be rid of the thing so whatever. You're better off hitting up EBay or something to get rid of those items.

so assume you get, i dunno, 75 bucks for the amp somehow, and maybe $150 for the guitar. with your budget, that comes to about $375. You can wrangle yourself a new Fender Strat for that price. or a used Highway 1 Strat. But if you want buckers, you gotta go for the Fender Fat Strat. Were I you, I'd stay away from the Squiers.

Maybe look for a used Gibson. They have some flat-topped Les Pauls (the special series) that if you can find used MAY be in your range, but really i have no idea on that one. I've heard good things about the Gretsch Duojet, which clocks in around your price range, but not sure if it has buckers.

Also, check out the PRS SE series. Good quality for the $$$, and cheap, cos they're made in Korea (methinks). very versatile, but beware, as they have huge necks that I find slow and annoying.

Finally, for a SOLID bucker guitar in your range, check out Ibanez. They're usually of excellent quality. I have a one that's just awesome. However, I find their pickups leave much to be desired. i'm gonna be installing new ones eventually. but that's personal taste, you may think they're wonderful.

that's my two hundredths of a dolla

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

There's Schecter as well.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I have the PRS Santaana SE. It's a fabulous guitar but it may be slightly out of your price range. The cheapest I've seen in online is $500. Maybe you should wait and save up a little more.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

What ever you decide, make sure you really like it. If it takes you longer to save up for what you want....... well..... sometimes that's the price ya gotta pay.

Get what you want and rock hard!

MIke

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member

I'd go for the custom blue strat that is at GC only. it doesn't look metal...ish but it is amazing. also, crate amps are great tone...givers.

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I want all buckers. Strat has 3 singles.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Out of the two Agiles- you probably want the one with the higher output pups.
Center joined, it's just the body is made up of two pieces of wood, presumably equal in size.

Grade refers to how free of knots and imperfection the wood is and to the amount of figuring in the wood, and doesn't have any consistent effect on tone.

Rosewood v. Ebony, is a good place to start an argument, it comes down to personal preference and give that Agile's probably using the terms loosely, I don't think it's going to matter.

If you like the look of the gold one better, you can always change out the pickups.
Do remember that the LP is a fairly heavy guitar to practice on.

There's also the Squier M-80, if you want to keep the price down
http://www.music123.com/Squier-M-80-Special--Bolt-on--Electric-Guitar-i154992.music

The one I saw in the shop was decent enough for the price.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

If you are looking for an agile , lurk around on http://www.agileguitarforum.com (and for your budget , AL2000 is perfect , just order a hardshell case along the way too)

A very nice and cool forum and they will answer all your agile (and non agile) related specific questions there.

I am a member there and from what i know after reading account of SOO many people , i guess agiles are really great guitars for the dollars paid.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The only problem is the 2000 has a B Grade top. Isn't that bad?
The 3000, which would take a little saving up for, has the nice pup and wiring, better construction, and a AA top. I wan't this guitar to last a little while.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2