Looking For New Acoustic Advice

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi All,
I've been learning on an electric for about 8-10 months. It's been fun so far, but a couple of the songs that I'm trying to learn were done with Acoustic. I've been looking around in the $400 range and came across a Ibanez AW300, and am leaning towards that one.

Has anyone played this, or have any other suggestions in that price range?

Thanks

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@sinister_hack)
Eminent Member

That's a decent price. I've seen some Taylors and Martins priced in that range.

I don't care for them too much but Ovation has a model or two in that price point.

Now, I'm left handed so the model I played was probably more moola than the right handed counterpart but I played a nice Alvarez that I loved for $300. I was very impressed by the sound and the playability of it. It might be worth checking out some of them.

Of course, take all of this with the knowledge that I'm a screamin' newbie :D

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Do yourself a favour. Save a few more dollars (or go second hand :wink: ) and get a Larrivee. Absolutely fantastic sound no matter what model.

Buck for buck, there is no comparison to Martin's or Taylors in this price bracket, the Larrivee will outplay them, I would bet my shirt (damn, where's that short gone....?) on it.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@jim_v)

I agree with the recommendation to go used. You'll save a lot of money and unless you intend to keep the guitar for life, a warranty probably won't be an issue.

Not intending to take a shot a Matt, I get a kick out ot recommendations that say Brand X will play the shirt off of any other brand. I'm also an audio buff (note I didn't say audiophile). I wish I had $1 for every time I heard someone say "any tube amp will blow away any solid state amp" or Brand X speakers are better than any other speaker on the market." Sound is subjective. What sounds good to you may not sound good to someone else. Does everyone like the same food? Then why do they think everyone will like the guitar they think is best? Different strokes.

As for which guitar is best for you, only you can answer that. There are times when I think nothing can touch my Taylor for playability and overall tone. Then I play my Guild and wonder why I like my Taylor so much. Then I play a friend's older Yamaha or Takamine (heaven forbid) and realize they are pretty nice guitars, especially for the money. And for whatever reason, Martins do nothing for me. Nice guitars (some very nice) but I happen to prefer other brands. Never played a Larrivee but I assume they make fine guitars. Seagulls also get pretty good raves in this price range, but I don't much care for them. Never played one that came close to my Taylor for playability. And don't forget the Ovation Celebrity CC01-M that got me playing again after 30 years. Laugh if you want to at a plastic-back guitar, but that neck is the closest thing to my Strat that I've seen on an acoustic. Great, low action. Easiest acoustic I've ever played.

My point is that there are lots of choices. Take the time to look around. And don't be afraid to buy on eBay, even if you can't play it first. If you bid carefully, you can't get hurt too bad. I've purchased 6 guitars on eBay and sold 2 of them for more than I paid (not much more, but I covered my shipping expenses plus a little on both of them). In essence, I got to play them for several months for free. I've kept 3 of them and expect to get what I paid out of them if I ever sell them. Gave the other to my nephew if you're wondering.

Good luck and have fun.

Taylor 420R Ltd
Guild D50CE
Martin OM-1
Fender Stratocaster Plus
Gibson Les Paul Studio

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, this has been an interesting couple of weeks. I've read the general advice about finding a guitar that feels right and sounds like you want it to sound, but never felt it in anything I picked up beyond minor differences. I went to the store to try out the ones suggested in the replies (Thanks everyone!!!), but nothing stood out from my initial choice.

I returned for a 6th trip ready to buy the Ibanez. It was very busy, so I killed some time by looking again at everything. The $400-ish Taylor and Martin again did nothing for me, but for grins I picked up a Taylor 214 for a touch over $700. It was $300 out of my price range, but it felt GREAT!!! Sounded very nice too.

So, there I was in the small room with an Ibanez and Taylor for about an hour comparing and trying to talk myself into the Ibanez. Bottom line, the Taylor fit and sounded right, so that's what I brought home. Oh, and the case came with the Taylor. Ended up being a net difference of about $250.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased so far. Thanks for the thoughts and replies.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jim_v)

RParker,

Congratulations! Sounds like you did the right thing. You won't regret buying the Taylor. I'm sure the Ibanez was a great guitar, but the Taylor spoke to you. In the long run, $250 isn't going to seem like a big deal, especially when you remain happy with the Taylor. And even if you decide to move on from the Taylor, I'd bet its resale value will stay much higher as a percentage of the original cost. Happy playing!

Taylor 420R Ltd
Guild D50CE
Martin OM-1
Fender Stratocaster Plus
Gibson Les Paul Studio

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You did good getting a Taylor but more importantly you got a guitar that you feel good about. List on the 214 is about $1100 so you did good on the price also. I have a 310 which I am very happy with.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote