Clear all

Looking for new patterns to play through scale modes

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bojack)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Not sure if that's exactly what you'd call it but that's the best way I know how to describe it :oops: Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about:

4321,3214,2143,1432,4321,(repeat)

For this pattern I'd be playing a mode on the major scale, 3 notes on one string, starting with the 1st string (small e, right?). I'd play the first 3 notes going down on the 1st string and the 4th note on the 2nd string. Then I'd play the 2nd note I played on the first string and end with the 2nd note on the 2nd string. Then the 3rd note on the 1st string and end with the 3rd note on 2nd string. I'd just repeat that pattern until I get to the end of that mode and I could do the same type of thing going up as well.

I'm just looking for more of these types of patterns so if you have more, please share. Looking for more patterns for pentatonic scale as well, and also patterns I could use in 3/4 or 4/4 time. Thanks in advance!

ADDED: Since all of this may be a little unclear, let me add this:

Let me use this mode as an example:

Using that pattern, these are the notes I'd play:

D-C-B-A, C-B-A-G, B-A-G-F#, A-G-F#-E, G-F#-E-D, etc,

all the way down to the A on the bigE string. I could also use that pattern to go up that mode:

A-B-C-D, B-C-D-E, C-D-E-F#, D-E-F#-G, E-F#-G-A, etc.

These are the kinds of patterns I'm looking for. I've tried to create my own but they seem kind of bland. I've heard examples of other patterns from other players but they seem to be made up of more than one mode and I can't figure them out. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

(@bojack)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ouch...is this the wrong section? Or was my description so bad that no one knows what I'm talking about :lol: I really like these types of patterns, as opposed to riffs, because I could use them on any mode and scale.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

What I think you're talking about is sequences: playing 3 or 4 notes in a row, then repeating that sequence but starting on the next note of the scale. If you're really interested I would recommend just finding some extended pentatonic scales (which you should be able to find on either this site, http://www.guitar.com or http://www.cyberfret.com ) and write out your own sequences in 3/4 and 4/4 time, so long as you have a fair understanding of theory it should be pretty easy to write some 16th note and triplet runs to practice.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

For me it was a case of not knowing what you were talking about, and I'm afraid that's still the case. What are those numbers? - frets, right? But how's that playing a mode on a major scale - it just looks like a descending chromatic scale section except that you're missing out open string notes.
Notewise you're playing:
Ab G Gb F Eb
G - Gb - F - Eb - D
Gb - F - Eb - D - Db

It's not any mode that I know of.

ReplyQuote
(@bojack)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Let me use this mode as an example:

Using that pattern, these are the notes I'd play:

D-C-B-A, C-B-A-G, B-A-G-F#, A-G-F#-E, G-F#-E-D, etc,

all the way down to the A on the bigE string. I could also use that pattern to go up that mode:

A-B-C-D, B-C-D-E, C-D-E-F#, D-E-F#-G, E-F#-G-A, etc.

These are the kinds of patterns I'm looking for. I've tried to create my own but they seem kind of bland. I've heard examples of other patterns from other players but they seem to be made up of more than one mode and I can't figure them out. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Don't play patterns.

Seriously.

Learn WHY notes go together, and discover your own ideas on the fretboard.

Pattern playing without understanding leads to a very backwardly developed guitarist.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@blindjimmy)

i have spent years practicing patterns, man, what a waste of time. yeah, you get real good at playing patterns super fast, but it doesn't sound like music. go get some django solo transcriptions, or charlie parker, even if you dont play jazz,also the suzuki violin lesson books have some real cool phrases if you read music, and learn a couple of short phrases, practice them with a drum machine or metronome going a little faster each day. then learn a couple more. learn the licks in all the keys you play in, in all the octaves, then find the right place to put those licks into your own solo style. this method works great, in six months you will have a whole new arsenal of licks available to you, you'll be able to play them real fast, if thats your thing, and most important, you will sound like someone playing real music, instead of just one more guitar center dude running through his patterns on scales.

ReplyQuote