Skip to content
Looking for some go...

Notifications
Clear all

Looking for some good songs to play alone...

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
13.7 K Views
(@zebco)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I am not in a band, and I dont have anyone to jam wiht, so im looking for some good songs that sound good playing ALONE (as in without the drums, vocals, etc.)

Thanks in advance
-Zebco :D

gar
(@gar)

Most fingerstyle songs are great for playing alone.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Little Martha, Embryonic Journey, Hesitation Blues, Water Song. Hesitation you could pick a solo for the vocals.

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

I play mostly by myself as well and here are some of my favorites, that I like playing solo:

1. If I ever leave this world alive - Flogging Molly
2. Behind blue eyes - The Who
3. Pocahontas - Neil Young
4. Starman - David Bowie
5. Time of your life - Green Day
6. Suspiscious minds - Elvis Presley
7. Proud Mary - CCR
8. Bad moon rising - CCR
9. Can´t always get what you want - Rolling Stones
10. The Times are a changing - Bob Dylan

... but there are literally hundreds of good solo-acoustic songs - just check out artists that play solo, like Neil Young, Bob Dylan and the likes and I´m sure you´ll find lots and lots!

/S

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Pick up any of the "Fingerpicking ****" series that interests you (check the list of songs on their website)

Most of the arrangements are fairly easy and sound good. They are as cheap as most magazines to buy - so well worth it.

Most music stores carry them - I don't see them in regular bookstores very much. And, of course, they are all online at your favorite online bookstore (Amazon, etc).

http://www.halleonard.com/search/search.do?menuid=466&seriesfeature=&subsiteid=7

FYI: A large number of Joe Hempel's (a regular user around here) videos are from the Hal Leonard series...
http://www.youtube.com/user/jhempel24

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
Dust in the Wind - Kansas

Best,

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@guitarnick79)

or you could download some tracks with drum and/or bass and play that way? have you tried?

http://rankguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/crt.png
RankGuitars.com - Miniature guitars for forum signatures

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Not in band either although I do have people to jam with but alone I don't really like playing my guitar without something.

I use backing tracks sometimes but not often, I prefer to put the CD player through my PA and crank it up and then play along with the recording this way you have all everything including the vocals. Sometimes with the vocals I get lost in the music and miss the changes if I'm not paying attention.

I just try to keep my guitar louder than the one I'm trying to emulate and it's all good.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@loonhangs)

Not being in a band is a good time to evolve as a guitarist and cultivate a style. Heres a tip. Play along with the track of a favourite song, without vocals preferably drums and bass and (or) keys, then after a while try to fill in the parts with vocals too with solos. mostly you can play the vocal melody, then improvise and start putting in chops and licks here and there, and try to feel what you are playing. This is a good way to develop a style y' know. A suggestion is Gary Moore's Still got the blues, but its your style, your choice. That way you can jam with yourself. As for songs that sound good alone i dont think there are any. i mean its great then its great alone or with accompaniment.
Happy Playing.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Not in band either although I do have people to jam with but alone I don't really like playing my guitar without something.

I use backing tracks sometimes but not often, I prefer to put the CD player through my PA and crank it up and then play along with the recording this way you have all everything including the vocals. Sometimes with the vocals I get lost in the music and miss the changes if I'm not paying attention.

I just try to keep my guitar louder than the one I'm trying to emulate and it's all good.

^ All this for me too. No band, though no jam-mates either, which I would like. So it's me, my computer and iTunes playing on it, my sheet music and my guitar or bass. Where theyz a will theyz a way.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Btw, a good thing to do it make use of the EQ that comes with whatever you are using. It's certainly not a mixing device but you can emphasize or de-emphasize vocals or some range of the song.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Smells Like Teen Spirit is a fun one to do solo acoustic. It totally blindsides the audience.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I first started doing only single guitar arrangements of songs, Now I do 1/2 single arrangements and 1/2 to backing tracks. Once in a while I do a CD as a back ground, but that's personal preference types of thing not to do it much. My hearing is muffled enough as it is. I totally lose it when trying to play to a CD. Yank a few instruments out of there and I'm much better.

So Zebco, have you found songs yet or still in need of suggestions? While some songs work better than others, all can be done. ie: Moonrider doing 'Teen Spirit. I've even seen Ukuleles doing it on You Tube.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote