Clear all

Looking for some not so difficult solos to practice

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@dennett340)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know any not so difficult solo's to practice? I really want to practice my bends and slides/glissando, vibrato, hammer-on's and pull-offs. Level wise- I need something that suits my level- like the solo in “Californication” of the red hot chili peppers. Something like that or something bluesy as well. I definitely need more blues licks to add to my arsenal and I am wondering the solos of what songs or guitarists would be a good place to start.

And 2 other things.

1. I've found some "licktionarys" online but no audio recording that accompanies it- so when I look at the tab and I'm clueless as to how it's really supposed to sound - like the subtleties. Anyone know any books of licks that has also comes with an audio?

2. I also want to better understand the concept of approach/weave and then accenting with the vibrato.
Any ideas?

(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

blues you can use!
http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm not much on solo guitar, but I might have a solution for your first question. There's software out there called Power Tab. It presents the viewer with sheet music and TAB. Press the play button and it starts playing a midi based on the music and has a line that moves along with the TAB to show you where in the music you are. So, you get to see and hear the TAB and what's supposed to be happening. I've found it very helpful. Oh, and it's free.

There's also a better one out there, Guitar Pro, that uses a better sound engine and has more features. It's like $60. If you like the free Power Tab, you'd love Guitar Pro.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ok for real solo's the solo to AC/DC's Shook me all Night Long is pretty easy. The solo which is only a few bars to Sublime's Smoke Two Joints is easy.

Basically if I can play it, it's easy..the solo to Queen's Crazy little thing called love is easy.

I'll try and remember some more.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@phillyblues)
Estimable Member

Pink Floyd's "Mother" and "Comfortably Numb".

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Can I suggest that you "ease" your way in by playing a few instrumentals? There are loads to choose from, mostly from the 50s, 60s and 70s. You can find a couple here, on my website.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

blues you can use!
http://www.bluesyoucanuse.com/

Seconded! :) There is a lot of good stuff in that book.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Pink Floyd's "Mother" and "Comfortably Numb".

I second here on the Pink Floyd songs. Hey, even I was able to learn them, so that ought to tell you something.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote