Looking for songs in Drop D

22 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have suggestions for easy to intermediate level songs in Drop D. I'm looking for some recent type songs along the lines of Shinedown's - Save Me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@peaveywolfgang5150)
Estimable Member

first off i have to say, anything!!!, today any music you hear is in drop d it seems, learn a bunch of blink 182, or green day, or you can learn disturbed songs. or creed songs. everything today is in some sort of drop tuning. so look around on tabs websites and im sure you'll find something

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Not a "new" song, but one I always play if I tune down is Outshined by Soundgarden. Love that opening riff.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

peavey - Hmm I'm not into Blink 182 that much but I'll have to check out Green Day. I had a few tabs of their stuff but none of it was in Drop D it was all std tuning. Disturbed may be interesting though.

Banre - I'm not familiar with that song but I'll check it out,.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ReplyQuote
(@johnin510)
Trusted Member

Creed
Godsmack - I believe the name of the song is Keep Away. VERY easy song to learn IMO.
Nickleback

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Switchfoot's "Meant to Live" is one of the easiest drop-D songs to play.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Not a "new" song, but one I always play if I tune down is Outshined by Soundgarden. Love that opening riff. Right on, actually makes good use of the drop D as well, as it's darn hard to change chords that fast without it. Plus you use the open D power chord as well.

A couple other Soundgarden songs in drop-d are "Spoonman", which is mostly in 7/4, so it's kind of an interesting play through, and "Black Hole Sun", which does really well around the campfire in the right crowd. The "Audioslaved" forum has a great tab of the live acoustic version that Chris has been doing lately. A great intermediate song.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Harvest Moon, Dear Prudence, The Chain, All apologies

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

The "Audioslaved" forum has a great tab of the live acoustic version that Chris has been doing lately. A great intermediate song.

That sounds like exactly what I want to learn this week. I've been looking and I can't find it over there. You have a direct link to it?

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris

Getting a little dated, but many Nirvana songs are in Eb/D. Tune all strings down a half step and then tune down your bass E string an additional whole step. This is the most popular tuning today, although many groups tune to what I call D drop C or D/C where you tune all strings down a whole step and the bass E down an additional whole step. This is a widely used tuning by groups like System of a Down and many others.

Here is a Disturbed tab I did almost 2 years ago. I had to correct spacing, it should be pretty good now. This song is easy to play and sounds awesome.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?p=3405#3405

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Banre - I listened to the song and I do know it just didn't kow that was the name.

Wes - Thanks bud. I have the album so it'll be fun to play along to it. I'll have to give it a try.

John - Godsmack that's sounds good. I have that album too.

Nick - Is Harvest Moon a Neil Young song? Dear Prudence - Who did that?

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I've been working on "Song for George" by Eric Johnson. It's in, what do you call it, "Double Drop D" - both E strings dropped.

Pretty easy song and sort of cool....

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Nick - Is Harvest Moon a Neil Young song? Dear Prudence - Who did that?

Harvest Moon is Neil Young. Dear Prudence is done by the Beatles from the "White Album"

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Banre:

Thread about the Black Hole Sun live rendition, tab in thread:

http://www.audioslaved.com/ftopict-7098.html

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@antny)
Trusted Member

I've been working on "Song for George" by Eric Johnson. It's in, what do you call it, "Double Drop D" - both E strings dropped.

Pretty easy song and sort of cool....

i wouldn't call that an intermediate song. a great song though.

go chiefs, go royals

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2