Clear all

Losing My Drive to Play

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpinjones)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, i figure a bunch of fellow guitarists could help me out with this, maybe you've been through it before. I fell in love with my guitar 5 years ago and now i can't seem to pick it up anymore. In fact i feel like i don't even know how to play anymore, i try at the very least to play once a day. it's been this way since just after thanksgiving, i remember when actually, i was getting drilled because i have a hard time writing my own material and i like to learn other peoples music, i can bust out a quick riff or lick of my own but when i'm learning other peoples music i feel like i learn more about music in general, i feel like i discover better that way. I don't intend to be in a band i like to play for me, but since those words of discouragement i can hardly seem to play at all and i can hardly seem to remember all the cool music i've learned over the years. Can somebody help somehow?

So you're telling me i can sing AND play guitar at the same time.....? Since when?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you only get better, but only if you play. don't let one person get you down. they want to hurt someone for their own selfish reasons, not because of you.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It's ok to take some time out.

Listen to the radio, watch MTV World Stage, go down the pub and listen to whatever cover band is going to mutilate Hotel California tonight.

Sooner or later you'll be sitting there thinking "I can do that, or something very similar" and away you'll go.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Most people take a break and come back to it when the time is right.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

It's ok to take some time out.

Listen to the radio, watch MTV World Stage, go down the pub and listen to whatever cover band is going to mutilate Hotel California tonight.

Sooner or later you'll be sitting there thinking "I can do that, or something very similar" and away you'll go.

This is really good advice. Take some time out and don't analyze it too much.

ReplyQuote
(@slide496)

I'm sensitive and overreact to criticism. Zero tolerance for anything negative or derisive about creative effort. I try to not expose myself and guard myself against by keeping my focus and the relationship with the guitar strong so that comments will effect me less and generally take a "well I'm going to persevere despite that" attitude and make the resistance work for me that way. Forward!

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member

To much of a good thing is never a good thing. I don't play every day, though I should. I don't have the time really. And thxgiving through christmas is the worse time to be envolved in anything 100%. I had 5 days off and I got maybe 2hrs of play time in, because I had entirely to much to do. When I do paly, I enjoy playing.

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

I don't intend to be in a band i like to play for me

I would certainly focus on that thought right there. We all have to entertain ourselves with our playing before we can entertain anyone else.

ReplyQuote
(@spiritboy)

Whenever I'm frustrated I just go back and remember what made me start playing guitar, and why I still play. I suppose you could just try new material, or play songs that you really enjoy that would get you into the mood to play. Worst case scenario is that you just take a break for a bit until you feel like you are ready to play again. Don't let criticism get to your heart.

ReplyQuote
(@clapton)

Nothing wrong with a little break. When you do feel like picking up your guitar again, perhaps try playing those songs you used to love playing from before. Either way, keep it fun!

ReplyQuote
(@amakely)

Do you have any buddies who play?

Often we spend so much time making music by ourselves, and getting together to jam with a friend can really help you rekindle your guitar flame. I enjoy learning new licks and songs from my friends who listen to different music than me.

Andy Makely, Atlanta blues guitarist, and co-founder of
Take It From The Top: http://www.tifttop.com
The best place to learn about the best guitar players.

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member

Hey guys, i figure a bunch of fellow guitarists could help me out with this, maybe you've been through it before. I fell in love with my guitar 5 years ago and now i can't seem to pick it up anymore. In fact i feel like i don't even know how to play anymore, i try at the very least to play once a day. it's been this way since just after thanksgiving, i remember when actually, i was getting drilled because i have a hard time writing my own material and i like to learn other peoples music, i can bust out a quick riff or lick of my own but when i'm learning other peoples music i feel like i learn more about music in general, i feel like i discover better that way. I don't intend to be in a band i like to play for me, but since those words of discouragement i can hardly seem to play at all and i can hardly seem to remember all the cool music i've learned over the years. Can somebody help somehow?

Was in the same boat! I played like an idiot from 12 to 18~19 and got pretty good at rythme guitar and could sing a few songs without people running away in sheer terror. Lost the will to play because my ex, at the time, got so mad from me coming home pissed drunk from playing a gig or a party. So I stopped. Fast forward some years later (I'm 35) just picked it up seriously again and feeling like crap because I feel like I can't do anything.

I know the feeling "In fact i feel like i don't even know how to play anymore". YOU DO know how to play, it's just your fingers are a little rusty (at least from my experience). You just need to take it day by day. I basically got rid of my "fake book" (you know that binder full of songs with chord progressions or tabs) because I couldn't remember how to play 80% of it! It's less frustrating to look around youtube, rediscover the tunes you love - pick one, find the tab/chords and start to play along with it... in no time, you will be back in the groove and loving it again.

"i like to play for me" That's key! I think everyone should play for themselves first and foremost. Those are the most honest musicians and artists, not playing something because the next guy will like it or for whatever reason. If it makes you happy - you will stick with it!

"since those words of discouragement" I couldn't understand the nature of this, sounds like someone was "drilling" you on something. Don't let anyone get you down. Music is a personal thing and if you practice and get back into it... you will become even better than you remember!

"Can somebody help somehow?" This message board seems supportive (I'm new so I'm guessing for the most part), don't beat yourself up. Beat the crap out of that fretboard and make some noise! Don't give it up on assumptions, you will end up regretting it. Anything worth doing is going to be hard.

Cheers! I hope I brought some encouragement to the table!

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

ReplyQuote