Clear all

Made in Korea?

60 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
16.8 K Views
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

We're just left to assume its South Korea. lol I mean I know thats obvious, but they should specify as there is no such country as Korea. Only South Korea and North Korea

That's your western education showing. :wink: South Korea doesn't recognise North Korea, nor vice versa. Both consider themselves to be the "rightful" government of the entire Korean nation, and the other to be tools of an empire. (Which empire depends on where you're looking at it from. Tee hee) But I've never met a South Korea, nor a North Korean. All simply identify themselves as Korean, and both countries call themselves, internally at least, Korea. Maybe it has to do with being a very old country, and the north south distinction is relatively new...

A contact in Korea has promised to take me to the Guitarshop on our first weekend, can hardly wait. His recommendation is to buy a "local," not for export guitar, as they come from the same factories, meet the same specs, and are much cheaper without being labeled "Fender" or even "Epiphone." Also promised a good range, as many models (epiphones, for example) which are now made in China, are still available under other names but from the same factory in Korea. Methinks I'm gonna have to play a lot of guitars.

ahhhh of course. that would make sense!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i was born in seoul. i'd say that most koreans are sort of waiting for the war to end (hopefully peacefully) so they can go hug their cousins again.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

My son's girlfriend's from Seoul.

I'd certainly love to see that situation peacefully resolved, as the division of Germany eventually was.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Loyalties and divisions among the Koreans are not all simply comprehended by westerners. Last time I was there was during a high point of "nuclear tensions." We went to the DMZ to have a look, as the locals said the tensions didn't mean too much, and we had time to kill. So we 'did' the tunnels and all those touristy western things. The comment that brought home the alienness of the regional situation went something like this (from a 'South' Korean): "Many young people in S. Korean believe it may be a good thing for N. Korea to have nuclear weapons. It will discourage Japan from attacking Korea." It seems Koreans take it as granted that Japan attacks about every 500 years. And while that puts the next anticipated attack still a few hundred years off in the future, it's apparently never far from mind or too early to prepare. :?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Loyalties and divisions among the Koreans are not all simply comprehended by westerners. Last time I was there was during a high point of "nuclear tensions." We went to the DMZ to have a look, as the locals said the tensions didn't mean too much, and we had time to kill. So we 'did' the tunnels and all those touristy western things. The comment that brought home the alienness of the regional situation went something like this (from a 'South' Korean): "Many young people in S. Korean believe it may be a good thing for N. Korea to have nuclear weapons. It will discourage Japan from attacking Korea." It seems Koreans take it as granted that Japan attacks about every 500 years. And while that puts the next anticipated attack still a few hundred years off in the future, it's apparently never far from mind or too early to prepare. :?

Well that sounds normal seeing its not an ideological, ethic or religious division between peoples. But that one half is ruled and ruined by literally a madman who is beyond megalomaniacal...And his father, who depsite being dead, is still the posthumous 'Eternal President' :?
Would the 'South' Koreans welcome a forced removal of Northern government by outsiders though I wonder?

...First time Iv seen geo-politics discussed on these forums lol

ReplyQuote
(@scott58)
Trusted Member

I have 2 korean Deans. Both outstanding.

Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean 79 ML (silverBurst) Dean 79 ML Arctic White
Dean V-Wing Dove
Wampler SuperPlextortion - Skreddy Lunar Module
Peavey Transtube 110 EFX - Vox DA20 - Valve Jr Head/Cab
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
H2O Chorus/Echo

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The reason for that is that we have past experience of the results of political discussion! Politics and religion are 2 things guaranteed to get tempers flaring and standpoints polarised. Bad Karma all round............ :(

Which is why we discourage (to put it mildly) any such discussion. Please respect your karma and refrain from political or religious posts.

Thank you.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The reason for that is that we have past experience of the results of political discussion! Politics and religion are 2 things guaranteed to get tempers flaring and standpoints polarised. Bad Karma all round............ :(

Which is why we discourage (to put it mildly) any such discussion. Please respect your karma and refrain from political or religious posts.

Thank you.

Karma 8)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

the guitar knows no geo-political boundaries anyway...a good guitar is a good guitar wherever it is built.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think there now are plenty of existence proofs of quality guitars from Korea ... as well as China (another thread).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I have a Korean made ESP LTD MH-400 and the build quality is incredible. Best build quality I've seen in any guitar. Its is one of the higher end LTD mind u. I dunno if the proper ESPs are build in the Korea or not...I would guess America

Heres a question: Why does it always say 'made in Korea'?...We're just left to assume its South Korea. lol I mean I know thats obvious, but they should specify as there is no such country as Korea. Only South Korea and North Korea :roll:
About a year or so ago the Schecter line of guitars started identifying their guitars as "Made in South Korea". They are the only guitars I've seen using that specific terminology.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Please respect your karma and refrain from political or religious posts.
Thank you.
She doesn't have a strong political or religious preference.
What's important to her is what is on sale. And then Karma tells me how much money she saved by spending . . . that still confuses me.

I didn't know my Schechter was made in South Korea. I think I need to replace a couple of frets that I've worn down on it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Thank you.

but Karma is a religious thing!!!...lol just kidding ill stop. This is indeed a guitar discussion forum
Guitars from all creeds love each other! We could sure learn a lesson in harmony and love from these gentle instruments :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

but Karma is a religious thing!!!...
Exactly Rahul's point. He should know. :D

I thought it was a cute irony.

And there wasn't much politics in the above posts, mostly history.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A little history of the country that makes the guitars seems cool to me. (Course, I'm probably some kind of a pinko after all these years in Latin America...)

But back to the guitar question- I'm looking for THE guitar. My life makes me travel a little too much. I own a couple of low-end guitars, which will be donated to a worthy cause or a friend when next I move. I tend to move with what I can carry on a commercial flight, and none of my guitars are worth shipping.

But, life has come round to the point where I can afford a decent guitar. As decent as I want, really. Shouldn't spend more than $700 to $900, but I think I can get pretty decent for that. Problem is, it's probably the only one I ever get- cause if I get two decent ones, that's me stuffed next time I move.

So I'm looking for ONE guitar that will really work for me. Trouble is- I like a lotta different music.

For major sound variety in one instrument which isn't even vaguely like a synthesizer (I have electronic sounding guitars) a friend recommended one of these: http://www.brianmayguitars.co.uk/the-guitars

I've heard the original, but never seen a replica up close. Any of you familiar with it?

best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4