22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@johnny-lee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was checking out I Heart Guitar recently and I found this thing
http://iheartguitarblog.com/2011/04/pickmaster.html

Now, I had never even considered doing anything like that, but after thinking about it - It's genius! All it is really is a hole puncher with a pick-shaped hole.

Such a simple idea. Picks aren't really that complex. They're just pieces of plastic shaped in a useful way for guitar players. It's a shame the manufacturers are charging you like 5 bucks for a bag of little plastic pieces. And now I really wanna get one for myself to try out.

What do you guys think? :D

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

It looks like it would make a handy gift for a guitar lover that already has the usual gadgets, but I'm not sure I'd find a use for it myself. Partly that's because it presumably makes them all the same size, and I like to experiment a bit. But also because I've never had any trouble cutting picks out with an ordinary pair of kitchen scissors if I felt like trying out different materials or shapes. Or maybe it's just because I mostly play with my fingers anyway... :wink:

I bet they'd appeal to some people though. KInd of neat to be able to 'roll your own' with a little gizmo.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i've done it when i didn't have any picks handy, but picks are like 5 for a dollar, so it's not like it's a big deal.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm with Jason, I'd have to ask why, it's not like picks are expensive

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

credit cards are too thick. I do like the device. it looks cool. a friend of mine brought his Martin Backpacker to a camping trip. he used a found pick. it was the plastic thingy on a bread wrapper. he hooks it on the string and he says it never falls off. the thickness is perfect for him and he says that you can always find one lying around.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I can't see the link (anything with the word blog is blocked at work), but if it cuts teardrop shaped picks, it would be of no use to me (that is, if anyone cares :P ). Seems I need triangular picks or else I lose control of them "slip slidin' away" (apologies to Paul Simon). But if the credit card is punched out just right some of the numbers could add texture to the pick. As I said, I can't see the link, so maybe that's how it's meant to be used.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I can't see the link (anything with the word blog is blocked at work), but if it cuts teardrop shaped picks, it would be of no use to me (that is, if anyone cares :P ). Seems I need triangular picks or else I lose control of them "slip slidin' away" (apologies to Paul Simon). But if the credit card is punched out just right some of the numbers could add texture to the pick. As I said, I can't see the link, so maybe that's how it's meant to be used.

First re: this thread, that gizmo looks okay but is expensive. I am very picky about my picks, have designed my own, but am not making them yet... or any guitar product, following the advice of my lawyer until I'm all separated for awhile??? :shock:

Really I am so fussy about picks, that's where the playing begins for me, as important as fingering and I do that funny too.

Minotaur, I know what you mean about the triangular picks, I have one; I had more a long time ago but still get 3 fingers on a teardrop if I want, and have more control with just two fingers, I don't mind if the pick is just a small 'chip' if picking, not strumming. The other thing is Dava control picks, I always have a couple for when I'm tired or cramped or have tendinitius, but stick with Dunlop mostly, and was introduced to "Wedgies" (really :lol: ) when I made my last purchase, and must put in a good word for http://www.guitarhands.com/ who came to this forum, offered free samples, I wrote & received both types, and they are very easy to hang onto. IMO they are a great strumming pick and are very worthwile for that, worth the money for their comfort, not suited for all controlled lead work & no pinch harmonics. Get a couple of samples & buy a few gauges?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I got a bunch of these at a NAMM show about ten years ago. They were kind of cool, because you could snap them back into the credit card when you were done playing. I ended up giving them to my students at the time.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Minotaur, I know what you mean about the triangular picks, I have one; I had more a long time ago but still get 3 fingers on a teardrop if I want, and have more control with just two fingers, I don't mind if the pick is just a small 'chip' if picking, not strumming. The other thing is Dava control picks, I always have a couple for when I'm tired or cramped or have tendinitius, but stick with Dunlop mostly, and was introduced to "Wedgies" (really :lol: ) when I made my last purchase, and must put in a good word for http://www.guitarhands.com/ who came to this forum, offered free samples, I wrote & received both types, and they are very easy to hang onto. IMO they are a great strumming pick and are very worthwile for that, worth the money for their comfort, not suited for all controlled lead work & no pinch harmonics. Get a couple of samples & buy a few gauges?

Since I'm a strummer, and do almost no picking, except for the odd single note riffs, that's probably the reason I lose control of the teardrop picks. There doesn't seem to be enough to hold onto during a fast strumming pattern. I'm going to look into your recommends. Thanks. :note2:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

We used to make um out of match books.......big deal I guess

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-lee)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Haha, I'm digging the responses.

I actually thought people would appreciate this device. Guess not. I myself have never made my own picks, but i thought this would be a good way to experiment with whatever you have around the house, and do it quickly. To each his own. :wink:

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I got a bunch of these at a NAMM show about ten years ago. They were kind of cool, because you could snap them back into the credit card when you were done playing. I ended up giving them to my students at the time.

As soon as I saw that, I thought of these

I even have a few around here somewhere. Not in the packs any more, just the picks.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I went through a phase of trying out all sorts of materials for picks. I made several from various types of harder or softer wood (didn't really like any of them), various types of plastic, and different types of wire. My favourite was one that I made from a shaped loop of quite heavy gauge copper wire. Apparently coins are quite popular as picks too.

All manner of styles have been marketed.

Here's one that looks like some kind of weird comb. Jellyfish Plectrum

Another with wire Wirething. Theres' quite a range of other styles at that site too.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Chris, two years ago I met the guy who invented the Jellyfish pick - we were both judges for Guitar Center's King of the Blues competition. Nice guy. He's got a degree in music composition (besides an engineering background).

I've also gone through at least dozens, if not hundreds, of pick experiments. Matchbook covers give a soft tone that I like, but they don't last long. Chunks of hardcover book covers last longer, but have a bit more bite to the tone. I like coins, but not the current US ones - get rid of the ridge around the edge and they work better (but it's actually illegal to deface US money, so I've made do with mangling coins from my travels). I've tried chips of stone, cut picks out of bottles and cans, etc. But most of the time I'm still using plain old extra heavy gauge generic picks, or the Dunlop Stubbys. Mostly because I go through picks at a fair clip.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've also gone through at least dozens, if not hundreds, of pick experiments.

Have you ever tried the compressed felt ones Tom? Apparently they're used by some ukulele and bass players, but I found that they could give a particular tone for playing acoustic guitar that I was keen on for a while.

Jim Dunlop Felt Picks

Neat that you met the jellyfish guy. I did try to make something a bit similar (after seeing it online somewhere) but didn't have much success.

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2