Notifications
Clear all

Making Chord Melodies - "Solo Fingerstyle Guitar"

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@peter-simms)
Topic starter  

It's time to get involved. I have a few articles on Guitar Noise and am back after a busy 2004. I'm looking forward to helping any Guitar Noise players with their efforts to improve their solo guitar playing. Soooooo.. fire away with the questions.. I will be more than happy to help. I should check in about every other day. Keep practicing! Peter Simms :D

(@elpelotero)
Estimable Member

sweet deal. never seen anyone give themselves that way...whats some of your advice to gain finger independence, ie pinky?? also, it seems that when i improvise, it all sounds the same, just in different ways. How can i go about changing how my solos sound? or playing wats in my head?

and if by any chance u know the metallica One fast solo, theres only one part that pisses me off cuz i cant do it fast enough. let me know if u know this one

ReplyQuote
(@peter-simms)
Topic starter  

:shock: I was opening up to chord melody playing, but I will be more than happy to answer your question.... Getting technique is easier than most people think. If you are in touch with what you are looking to improve, "create" an exercise to work out that area. Thus, for the pinky independence issue, walk your index finger and pinky across the fretboard, then middle finger and pinky, then ring finger... do this all over the fretboard in order to keep it different and constantly getting used to the frets getting closer together as you go up the neck (eventually it will be a natural feeling).
:idea: for getting new ideas in your soloing.. that's an easy one. Learn other "parts" of solos that you like. Analyze what chord that riff came from. Then try and play that riff to other chords. Before you know it, you have a new bag of tricks! I hoped that helped! Peter

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Are there in basic finger picking patterns you can suggest, something we can use for songs where we typically strumm the chords, any suggestions on figerpicking songs we usally strum is appreciated, my finger picking is basically Dust in the wind, Blackird, and I like to just play around finger picking different chords, I usually just vary the pattern, often using thumb, index and middle finger, I need to work on using my ring figer more.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@peter-simms)
Topic starter  

I would suggest finding songs (like you did with dust in the wind) to learn new rhythms (from free tabs) and gleen the general rhythm from them. Or purchase a book that has fingerstyle rhythms in it. Or.. I have a website that you can purchase fingerstyle rhythms w/video and my e-mail help from.. ($2 each). There are three different modes that you try. I hope that helped. Peter

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Perhaps an article on solo aucostic improv? Ways to make up or write out your own personal, solo-aucostic creations?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@peter-simms)
Topic starter  

Putting your own chord melodies together requires good adequate chord knowledge, and solid basic notation skills. If you can work on these aspects, chord melodies are a ton of fun. There is a bunch of information out there for chord melodies. Did that help? :?:

ReplyQuote