Mandolin-Fiddler on the Roof

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Recently, I signed up to play music for a local production of the musical, Fiddler on the Roof. The main insturment that i'm playing is Trumpet, but as many of the songs don't have brass parts, I was also asked to play Mandolin.(since everyone knows that I play guitar) I was able to obtain a Mandolin, and do have a rudimentary knowledge of Mandolin. i.e. I can play some basic chords, and know where all of the notes are. However, I was wondering where I could get some more information on how to play it correctly...
One of my biggest problems is that many parts are melody played with tremolo picking, and I can't get the tremolo to sound just right. What is the proper technique?

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Here's a sight that might help. I can play tremolo on the mandolin, but darned if I can figure out how to write about how to do it. Good luck.

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page5296.htm

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Folk of the Wood is a really good site for mandolin, banjo, dulcimer, etc....

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Here's a sight that might help. I can play tremolo on the mandolin, but darned if I can figure out how to write about how to do it. Good luck.

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page5296.htm

That's funny, they said the exact same thing on that website about tremolo picking.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Is that link broken for anyone but me?

When I tremelo pick on the mandolin I like to time my plucks so that the two strings sound one after another. Rather than going up down up down on one pair, playing both strings as one, I slow my picking and turn it into up up down down up up and so on. I don't know if that's how other people do it, but it works well for me. I thought it was pretty cool when I figured out that I could do that. It also works well when picking two guitar strings.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm, that makes sense. I'll have to try it.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Keep in mind, I don't know if that's at all common, but it's definitely cool.

ReplyQuote