Clear all

Martin "Backpacker"

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jimh2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can anyone tell me what this guitar is used for?

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=m&m=Classical%20Backpacker%20Guitar

Music is the universal language, love is the key.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's a travel guitar, designed to go with you on your travels.
They are, IMHO horrible things to try and play. The neck is huge and the weird shaped body cannot be held or used on your lap, you have to put a piece of string on the thing and hang it around your neck like an albatross

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jimh2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

They are, IMHO horrible things to try and play. The neck is huge and the weird shaped body cannot be held or used on your lap, you have to put a piece of string on the thing and hang it around your neck like an albatross

Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the reassurance.

Music is the universal language, love is the key.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Have you played one then?
What is the sound like? Are they more portable than a 3/4 size for eg?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Are they more portable than a 3/4 size for eg?

Yeah. It's the main redeeming feature.

If you are going to be traveling very light (compact) and you absolutely need to have a guitar with you, then it's just the thing.

If you expect to play for a group of people, or if you would rather be without a guitar than to play a weak sounding instrument, then it's probably not going to make you terribly happy.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I received one as a gift: One more vote against.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Probably the cheapest martin around... but I guess it's worse than buying a Porsche 924 and thinking you're getting a porsche -oops no offense! :shock:

I'll rather stick with Ukulele! :lol:

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I've had bad things, some more people around here have or had them, Nick comes to mind but I'm not certain, maybe its just because he has so many, but I know there are a few owners kicking around.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I own one. The best advice I can give is just forget you've ever even heard of them.

The horrible sound you can accept if all you want to do is practice on your travels but the pure impracticableness makes this impossible. The only way to hold it steady is to use your left hand grip to stop gravity forcing it to rotate away from your body, even with a strap on. I cant beleive these things still sell and I can't beleive I bought one!!

I can't remember the make, I think it's Tanglewood, they have a guitar on the market thats basically a clone of the baby Taylor but a third of the price, I have had a go on one and was quite impressed for around £90 UK.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Thanks for the replies, I had considered getting one to take to work, won't bother now. Might look at the Tanglewood.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Even the mini Johnston is better than that.

http://www.johnsongtr.com/Trailblazer.156.0.html

Still hard to hold though, but the neck feels much better.

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

IMOI - Even the standard Baby Martin's don't shound too great either, but the baby Taylor really sounds good for a $264 travel guitar...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote