Midnight Rider - Allman Brothers

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know if this song is played with an alternate tuning?

I"ve been playing it in std tuning but it doesn't quite sound like the CD, any suggestions.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Does anyone know if this song is played with an alternate tuning?

I"ve been playing it in std tuning but it doesn't quite sound like the CD, any suggestions.
It looks to me like the rhythm piece was is dropped D (D A D G B D) and the lead was in standard.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nils,

Help me out here I'm not up on my alternate tunings but the main riff that's played by the 1st guitar plays kind of an arpeggiated partial D chord, but since I'm not hitting either the high or low E string tuning to dropped D isn't going to change anything, correct? I'd still be playing the same riff/notes. It would however affect the chorus/bridge parts I guess but it's mostly that main riff that doesn't sound quite right.

The tab I got was from Powertab and the tabber noted that he thought it was slightly off from std tuning also but didn't know what it was.

Any ideas? Anyone

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Your right on the first part since if you are not using either E the tuning has no impact.

My only guess is that it is in some kind of alternate tuning that is not obvious. Let me tinker and look around. Unless ofcourse someone else comes up with something.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks I appreciate it. It's not that it sounds way off, it just doesn't sound right compared to the CD. Unless they manipulated the CD somehow, like sped it up or slowed it down a bit.

ReplyQuote