6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Folks
My instructor has been after me to record my playing and I need to try this. I have a MAC laptop running OSX, I did D/L audicity sw, I just need a mike to record with. Is it worth getting a guitar mike or just a cheep mike? I really do not want to buy twice. If there is only minor $$ differance I would rather just get the better unit and be done with the issue. I will be recording my Taylor 210 acoustic and my Carvin DC127 through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Some how the offer to use my daughter's pink hello kitty did not just hit the spot. :shock: The mike does sound like crap when she sings. PS laptop only has a mike input not line input.
TIA

John M

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you are looking for a studio sound you probably won't get it with a PC mic. You need to get a bunch of other interfaces and mixers etc. I would not spend a lot on a mic just make sure it jacks out in stereo. I use a $8 mic from Office Max that sits on the floor. This way I can put it about 2 feet away from the amp or on the table for the acoustic. If you want to get a feel for what it sounds like listen to the strumming samples on my pages below. Not great but functional.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nils I apperiate that. I will look into this aspect as it is sure in my price range

John M

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Don't buy a cheap mic.

If you really start using it, you'll just have to go buy another one. If you decide you don't want to use it, it'll have no resale value.

A very good mic to recommend for home recording purposes is the Shur 57.

It'll run you about $100 new or $75 used. It'll keep it's resale value pretty well, and you can use it for everything.

You'll need a pre-amp with it unless you have a USB audio card with a built in pre-amp already. If not, something like the MobilePre USB is pretty good to get started with an not too expensive.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Kingp. I need to check with the wife on this as it is more than I have available right now. THe mobile pre looks nice, thanks for the tip.

John M

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

kingpatzet,
Thanks for the info on this! I saved a few $$ and got a Sure 57, mike stand and the Mobile Pre USB. Very nice, does a good job. Using Audactiy to record myself now. That is humbling experance. :shock:

Nils, I tried the std mike, but my laptop has line in not mike in so I had no signal level unless I yelled into the mike. Could not even hear the guitar.

John M

ReplyQuote