Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'll look on Ebay right now.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

My thoughts:
1. The quality on mexican fenders that i've played has varied...I'd definately buy a good one, but not over the internet.

2. Japenese Fenders rock!!! I own a mid 80's Jazz Bass, and a Sting signature P-Bass, both made in Japan, and they're just as good as any current production stuff in the $500-$1000 range.

3. Tribute by G&L is also an interesting choice. I believe that they're all american parts assembled overseas. I own one, and it is as least as good as the Jap Fenders, although the headstock doesn't say Fender, and is a slightly different shape(if that matters).

4. I don't usually like current fenders that much since they put those cheesy satin necks on even the American made ones. (the Jap Fenders are usually gloss, so they're okay)

5. My favorite current production Fender that i've played is the aerodyne telecaster. It is made in Japan, gloss neck, looks awesome, and has a P-90 in the neck, which sounds really nice. I'm not sure of the price, but a used one would probably be in the MIM range.

6. Definately buy used!!!!
I have a 89 Japanese fender and its great :D :D Its every bit as good as an American strat IMO--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I recently played both a Japanese Strat (current production) and G&L Tributes. IMHO, the G&L was better than the Jap Fender, although the Jap Fender was better than the MIM Fenders. There was also a G&L George Fullerton signature model there. It was a beautiful guitar, immaculately finished and a dream to play (except for the soft-V neck), but at a price (around EUR1300).
I believe most of the current Jaguars and Jazzmasters are built in Japan (certainly those that I've seen in Germnay)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I guess it's just a matter of trying a guitar out, and buying it if you like it. I went to some guitar shops yesterday, and tried prettymuch all the Fenders in the shop. The MIM Stnadart Series were terrible! Truly unplayable! I've also tried other MIM Starts(like the Calssic series, and Players Deluxe). Those blew my mind! They were better than the USA guitars! Especially the Player's Deluxe! It really gave a nice warm tone which was beautiful through that '57 Twin. The Classic Series were pretty good, but didn't feel quite right. They felt "greasy", if you know what i mean. I also wanna try out the Gibson SG Special Faded. They look really nice.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I played a Fender Mexican Telecaster Custom (two humbuckers) at a guitar shop last week and it ROCKED. Great feeling and sounding guitar. Unfortunately, it was $600, which I find obscene for a non-American bolt on neck guitar.

The Faded series from Gibson (I think) are the best values out there. The hardware ALONE on those guitars would retail for $300.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately, it was $600, which I find obscene for a non-American bolt on neck guitar.
Just what is that comment supposed to mean? Are you seriously saying that America is the only place on Earth that can build a bolt-on neck guitar that's worth $600?

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Again, if you're gonna go with the upper-level Fender imports, be sure to check out the Aerodyne series...

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I checked out the Aerodyne and it feels terrible. I Still prefer the Player's Deluxe.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

That comment means that if a guitar is built in Mexico, Korea, Indonesia, or anywhere else where workers are paid $0.10 on the U.S. dollar the end price should reflect that. These large companies are not building guitars in China because of the innate level of luthier knowledge by the Chinese. They are built there because the labor and materials are cheap. My point was that why would I spend $600 on a Mexican Tele when I can buy a U.S. entry-level Tele for $650? It is out-of-whack. Mexican standard Teles and Strat are EXCELLENT values at $350. An upgraded version at $450 - $500 is still a good value, but when you start climbing into $600 range I think that is high for an import.

Look at ESP... Entry level - to - mid-range level guitars are great values. Then you look at some of their higher-level guitars... $800 - $1000 !!! Are you kidding? For $1000 I can get a used PRS CE. Half of this argument is straight up playability, I understand that, but what if you ever want to sell or trade? That PRS will still be worth $1000+, the ESP? Maybe $650.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Your statement was "Unfortunately, it was $600, which I find obscene for a non-American bolt on neck guitar." You make no mention of, specifically, Mexican production - you deride the production capabilities of nigh on 200 countries with one sweeping (and inaccurate) statement.
The Japanese, for example, don't pay Mickey Mouse wages. They employ extremely well paid and talented people in their factories - look at the quality of Japanese Fenders, Tokais, etc.. You dismiss these products as not comparable to US made guitars, when, in fact, they are as good, if not better than US made guitars at the same price.
Furthermore, a number of US companies claim that the overseas production is QCed in the US - so at US labour rates and related cost for any rejected items (return? US-refurbish? scrap?). You also have to add in the cost of shipping a guitar from all the "non-American" production plants. Add to that the fact that, in a modern CNC-equipped production plant, the labour cost-per-unit is reduced significantly.
What portion, though, is the name on the headstock? That has NOTHING to do with where it was built.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

No, no, no. My comment was not to deride the production capabilities of other countries. You brought the "quality" argument into play. I never said that non-American guitars are not of equal QUALITY of American guitars. In fact, if you read the discussion I started regarding "Import vs. American - worth the cost?" you will see that I prefer import guitars because the quality is just as good - if not better- than American guitars which tend to be over-priced and have poor overall quality. My intention was to point out that the price point of import guitars should equal their production value in reflection of the market. Guitars made in Mexico face no import duties and no shipping charges. The labor is less, and that is why Fender makes them there.

If you'll notice, I specifically didn't mention Japan because they are a fully developed economy and have high wage rates - unlike many of the other countries currently producing guitars (China, Korea, Mexico, India, Indonesia, etc). Japanese guitars - as I've mentioned in this thread - are very high-quality guitars.

My statement had NOTHING to do with quality of workmanship, and EVERYTHING to do with market value.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You said "non-American". No discussion about Japan, Korea, Pago Pago or whatever.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I'm sorry that I wasn't as specific as I should have been. Of course fine guitars are made everywhere in the world, I guess I was just pointing out that $689 (I looked it up on Musician's Friend) seemed like a lot of money for a Mexican Fender. For another $70 you can get an American Icon - the US Telecaster, which should hold its value much better than a Mexican guitar. Plus, you get 22 frets!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, who cares if a guitar is made in USA or on Mars?! It's not bout that, it's bout how you play it, and whether you like its sound or not. My main guitar right now is a $200 Hamer, and it beats every Bolt on neck guitar ive ever seen. If i got offered to trade a gibson Les Paul Custom for it, i wouldn't. It gives me the exact sound i ever looked for, and i don't care if it costs 2000$ or 1. Yes, it's made i China, but it's made as well if not better than any American Fender or even Gibson guiter i've ever seen. So, going back to the point, if i saw a 600 dollar Mexican Fender in a shop, and liked it, and if i saw an American Fender in the same shop for 601 dollars, and like the MIM one better i will buy the MIM one. I wouldn't buy the American one only cos it says Made In USA on it. I proved you wrong my friend :D :D :wink: !

PS.
I'm sorry if this message sounded like im annoyed or anything. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3