Mixing the Mixolydian and Ionian modes

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Ezmo
(@ezmo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've noticed that when you mix the Mixolydian and Ionian (Major) modes together when jaming away (same key, E Major + E Mix), it can sound really good. It really is [one of the] best ways to intermix the Major scale and Minor Pentatonic (w/b5) scales together. Am I right about this? (Well, when I do it, it SOUNDS right!) :-)

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The only difference between the two (assuming we're talking about the same tonality, as with E Ionian and E Myxolydian) is that the seventh is major in the Ionian and minor in the Myxolydian. That's all. The flatted seventh is used all the time over major accompaniment as part of the blues scale, and is used in blues accompaniments a great deal in the I7 chord.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Ezmo
(@ezmo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your response. Yeh, I'm just kind of finding this stuff out. Don't know why it's taking me years! I'm trying to learn the modes and to use them properly like Noteboat has so kindly and expertly documented within these forums. I am most comfortable with the major/minor pentatonics when practicing/jamming (blues/rock style) and I'm experimenting with mixing them with the Mixolydian. I'm just now finding out how it sounds when I use it, not just when I go up and down the scale. Groovy.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's hard to learn anything till you get interested in it. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote