Notifications
Clear all

Most Obvious Ebay Scam Yet - "Custom Strat" ROFL

30 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Don't blame Ebay so fast. They have MILLIONS of transactions a day. If only 1/10th of 1% are crooks, that is still a lot of transactions to investigate. Also, they don't know whether the guitar is the model described or not, they are not experts in everything sold there. So, just because there are a few complaints, they will not immediately take it down - that wouldn't be fair to the seller.

HOWEVER, Ebay will eventually catch up with this seller, if enough people complain. I have seen it happen. It may take a month, but they will suspend him.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I'm not so sure ebay didn't end the sale. is there a way to tell?.
i know several of us notified ebay as well so i would suspect that they had something to do with it.
reguardless it's great that we keep an eye out for these people.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If ebay ends it, the auction disappears. As the auction is still there, I can only assume that the seller ended it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"I'V BEEN GETTING ALOT OF EMAILS SAYING THIS IS A SQUIRE. WHAT EVER THAT IS. AGAIN I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GUITARS."

Classic.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Notice how the pic of the back of the guitar is blurry, so that you can't read the squier on the neck plate, or the back of the headstock?
This fake was downright cheezy!
Good job guys...

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Book Him Slej! Another closed file for the "Strat Squad"!!!! 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Kaz
(@kaz)

Great catch! It's thanks to you guys that people like me don't make regrettable mistakes. =)

But how can you tell a genuine sale from a scam one if say the 2 guitars are indistinguishable in terms of looks (ie, fake)?

My friend recently purchased one on ebay, it costed him quite a bit. What convinced my friend that it was the real deal is that he asked the seller to play something specific so he can verify the quality of the guitar.

"Music can be like perfume, it's almost a scent, you know, where the right smell changes an environment and makes life more bearable." ~ Imogen Heap

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I don't get it...Couldn't the guy have sold youre friend a fake strat, but have recorded whatever he sent your friend on a real strat?

Anyways, there are far less 'scammers' then you might think. Most ebay sales are pretty legit. Check the guys rating, if he has 300 people saying he's great, you can trust him.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Kaz
(@kaz)

True, but he couldn't really think of anything else. But he did have a decent feedback rating, about 60, no negatives.

I mean, I am not an avid ebay user (5/5 feedback), so I tend to not judge others who don't have high rating to be a scammer. I bought a drum kit from someone who had 0 rating, and I myself had the same (it was the reason why I got ebay in the first place). I was a bit worrisome but it worked out.

I am trying to remember what he got, it wasn't a strat. All I remember it was a custom acoustic electric. I'll get back to you. :o

"Music can be like perfume, it's almost a scent, you know, where the right smell changes an environment and makes life more bearable." ~ Imogen Heap

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Wow hey everyone im new here but i like this place its like the guitar swat team!way to take em down :P

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Now here is a story my supervisor told me at work today, I am not trying to give anybody ideas here. :roll:

My supervisor is just a few years older than me and has been playing guitar since the mid 60s. I actually saw him perform in 1975 and reminded him when he first came on the job. He was really impressed that I remembered him (kinda surprised I remembered myself). He plays in a great Blues/Dance type band now.

All that to let you know this guy knows guitars. He owns 14 at present he told me. His favorite is a $4000 PRS.

Anyway, he ordered one of those "authentic" Gibson Les Pauls from China for $300. And he says it is not too bad and he plays it. He did have to tweak the neck a bit to make it playable. It is not anywhere as good as the real thing, but he likes it.

Then, he contacted EBay and said the guitar was bogus and asked for a complete refund. And he got it!

I asked him if he planned this all out and he said YES. He knew the guitar was bogus when he ordered it. So he got one of those fake Chinese Les Pauls for free.

Now, I'm not sayin this is right, of course it's not. But maybe a little justice to those ripoffs.

So don't try this, it really shouldn't be done. But it sure makes a interesting story.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am pretty sure the money was taken out of the Chinese merchant's account.

Anyway, I am just telling the story my boss told me. I said I do not think this is right.

About 3 years ago my bass player Dom ordered a bass amp on EBay. Weeks went by and he never received the amp. He contacted EBay and they kept telling him to contact the seller. He had already tried numerous times, but the seller never contacted him back. But he followed EBays instructions anyway. Still nothing. By now, months had gone by. Still EBay wanted him to keep trying. He had paid about $500 for the amp I believe. Anyway, after a full year Dom got a refund of $250 from EBay, not the seller. He was happy because by this time he thought he was not going to get a cent.

So, I don't know exactly how this works, but the impression I got from my boss is that EBay withdrew the payment from the Chinese account. I will ask again tomorrow.

And I don't think EBay should necessarily pay, but they do make huge money from these transactions. They do owe it to their customers to find and eliminate frauds. Many of these bogus guitars are still being sold on EBay to this day. So yeah, I think EBay bears some responsibility. Many folks are not aware they are getting ripped off by these bogus guitars. And putting a little warning on their site is not really doing much to protect their customers.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Doesn't quite add up. If they gave him the money frm the Chinese account, they would have required that he send the guitar back...So Ebay probably paid for it themselves.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

OK everybody, I asked my boss about this guitar today and got some more facts, not sure if I have the story completely straight, but here goes.

My boss changed his story a little bit. The guitar advertised was a genuine Gibson Les Paul. He said he was not absolutely sure it was bogus, but the Buy It Now price was $300 which was a little suspicious. So he charged it to his credit card. He said he thought there might be a slight chance the guitar was genuine and so took a chance on it. When the guitar arrived it was not the same guitar pictured in the ad at all. He called his credit card company and asked for a stop payment. He also contacted EBay. He sent pictures to both his credit card company and EBay to prove the guitar he received was not the guitar advertised. His credit card company did stop the payment. EBay also sent him a request to return the guitar. He sent numerous e-mails (only information provided by the Chinese merchant) asking for an address so he could return the guitar. The Chinese merchant never returned his e-mails so he had no address to send the guitar back to. So after a few weeks he contacted EBay again and told them he never received an answer from the Chinese merchant. So he kept the guitar and still has it.

So, the story he told me today was a little different, but he did not go into as great as detail yesterday as he did today. But I did not question him as much yesterday as I did today either.

Everybody happy now? :D

He did say that EBay was not very helpful or concerned until his credit card company stopped payment, and then suddenly they became very interested.

That's all I know, I am not going to question him anymore about it.

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

Somebody already mentioned it, but it is worth repeating. Ebay is only a facilitator, they are not the buyer nor the seller. Ebay's customers are actually the sellers. They can't automatically assume that someone is bogus because 10 or 15 people e-mail them and tell them it is bogus, e-mails are cheap and easy. They do eventually get most folks, and police their auctions in general. I think overall they have done a good job of making it pretty safe for people to sell to each other and trust that everything is above board. Unfortunately stuff happens, hopefully nobody here gets burned on ebay.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2