Moveable Riffs and Arpeggios

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 J123
(@j123)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

As I solidify my scale knowledge and want to begin working on improvising. I think it would be real helpful to have a source of short riffs and arpegios that I could play in any key and combine into a longer solo.

Does anyone know of a source for this?

Thank you

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well, most of my soloing is blues based, as is a lot of rock, so i learned a bunch of simple blues riffs from muddy waters and howlin wolf. a lot of what they do is play over a short repeated riff. they're easy to learn, and everyone uses them. you can combine them, move them, and change up the rhythm to get a ton of solo options right there. of course, ideas come from everywhere.
as for arpeggios, that comes from knowing the key you're playing in, the chord you're playing over, and a little bit about scales and chord formation. arpeggios can be formed by just playing the notes of the chord you're playing over, you can add extensions or suspensions for color, you can use the notes in the arpeggios to create melodies, as in jazz comping or classical music.
there's also playing chords for rhythm and picking out single note lines in the gaps, such as a bass run, a riff, or even the melody.

ReplyQuote