Clear all

Mr. Crowley

49 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok. Look. My favorite solo in the world, is All of the licks in Mr. Crowley by Ozzy and Randy Rhoads. It is amazing. I was taking a look at powertab earlier and its amazing. He hits so many different notes so unbelieveably quick. I dont know how people can say Eric clapton, or Jimi Hendrix are the greatest guitar players in the world. I am so against that. In fact I squim when i hear the name of arg...Jimi hendrix. Ok look I give credit to the man. He has some amazing solos. He is a great guitar player. But seriously folks Randy rhoads Could smoke Jimi Hendrix With one hand. Dont think im just some kid yellin here. I have really REALLY taken opinon to all of this. Eric clapton Has some EXCELLENT riffs, and definatly gets my foot tapping. But Not just in speed, clarity, tone, and just pure excellence people like Eddie van Halen, Randy Rhoads, and Steve vai are just simply breath taking. Randy IS SO AMAZINGLY FAST IN HIS PLAYING! Not only is he smoking fast but he plays all over the fret board in very technical places all at the same time. Eddie van halen practiced 8 hours a day every day for years and songs like eruption, Hot for teacher, aint talkin bout love, i mean seriously the amazing clarity, speed and awesome notes van halen flys through, makes jimi hendrix seem like a school boy. . I mean Even Kirk Hammet from Friggin metallica has faster cleaner notes then Jimi. I just dont understand what this huge fuss is about JIMI. Im not dissing on him or anything trust me I LOVE some of his solos, but just why does his black, left handed bluesy solos make EVERYONE LOVE HIM!!!! ???? GOD! I bet if randy rhoads was in a contest with Jimi hendrix randy would Laugh and just say id rather play for my mom. I mean god. Hes not THAT good. Sorry folks just had to blow off steam. PLEASE someone here agree with me and not give me a bunch of I LOVE JIMI replies. Thx. M-Man Ps. Dont think i think speed is everything. ITS NOT. But the fact that randy and van halen can hit SWEET notes totally clean and clear at 500 mph is heart stopping. :shock: :shock: :D

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just dont understand what this huge fuss is about JIMI.

Soul - dude, SOUL! 8)

Also, Jimi could sing. Furthermore, he would of won in a fist fight vs. RR. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

HMM ok are you saying jimis got soul, b/c trust me you wanna start talking about soul. RANDY. So please tell me you meant randy. :(

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Man, its not about solos. Its not about speed. It aint even about hittin those "sweet" notes. Jimi Hendrix was an innovator. He did things that people just didnt do. Randy Rhoads (who actually used to be my favorite guitar player, Mr. Crowley is amazing for sure) didnt really do that.

I dunno man. Also I dont think metal has as much widespread popularity as rock. And Hendrix is just a loveable guy I think.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i respect your opinion and it's fantastic that you have such an appreciation for what RR did that inspires you, but that's all it is "opinion".
speed is great, amazing riffs are great, but what Izabella, and Netzok are saying is that inovation and range of styles affects them (and myself) on a deeper level personally.

RR was a truly great player and like Jimi we will never know what was to come. Like SRV and so many others who have inspired us to do what we love.
It isn't neccessary to insinuate that one is better than another because to each of us they are all inspiring in their own way and for many different reasons.
that is an argument that cannot be won reguardless of who your hero may be.

inspiration that comes from many sources makes for a richer, more varied pallet of "colors" to build on.

"I take it to be a principle rule of life, not to be too much addicted to any one thing."
~Terence~

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

I am not a particularly big fan of either Hendrix or Clapton. I don't own any of Hendrix's refcord beyond a few MP3's that people ask me to burn for them. I have a little more of Clapton for the same reason, but I never listen to either one of them. I am aware that both are genius guitar players, but neither touches my soul like that, I guess.

I never got into Ozzy all that much, either, but I think Randy Rhodes was a genius, too. I was always partial to Crazy Train, especially on the live album. But I never listen to it.

For me, the technical difficulty of a solo is nothing compared to the sound. For example, the solo from Ween's "Transdermal Celebration" is so incredible I can't stand it, but it isn't all that hard to play.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I am also a HUGE Randy Rhoads fan..I thought he was so under-rated at the time and could have made some FANTABULOUS music if he did not die so young...

But "judging" a guitarist is not about how he'she plays solos or rhythms...it's the complete package. If you look at the times when Jimi Hendrix was alive he TOO was an innovator. There weren't ANY other African-American guitarists playing the kind of music he was playing in the 60's. He did not have the technology and role models available that Randy had. He even took a right-handed guitar and made it left-handed! Aot of what Jimi created has been integrated into modern rock music even today and is taught by MANY teachers.

What Randy did was innovative for HIS time. He was a classicly trained guitarist that took those skills and applied them to metal/rock. That was unheard of back then. He didn't just impress the audience with speed. His music had substance and flowed with the GREAT rhythms he also played.

Without either one of them guitar music would not be the same today...there is NO DOUBT in my mind that both Jimi and Randy influenced guitar playing greatly in ALL genres of music.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

My favorite is the best of both worlds: Stevie Ray Vaughan. Stevie could play unbelievably fast (fast enough to compete with randy, even though i doubt they'd want to compete with one another), and Stevie had a great sense of melody like jimi. I agree with you that he is somewhat over-rated in some ways: I agree that from a technical aspect stevie, randy rhodes and kirk hammett are alot better. But he really was an innovator, without his music we wouldn't have the music of today.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

why does it boil down too who's fastest and who can win a competition???

I feel very very strongly about what I'm about to say, so please don't anyone take offense in the event I get carried away. I also sometimes have trouble expressing myself when it comes to music and guitar, which is strange considering I'm an English teacher and I write alot hahaha. So please bear with me.

Music IS NOT about competition and who's better. If you think everyone should love Randy Rhodes or anyone just because they are faster or "better" then you're missing the point. My favorite guitarist is The Edge. He's not the greatest player in the world, he doesn't have any technical abilities, really, but he's really innovative and he makes music that Randy Rhodes, with all his classical training, would not be able to make or duplicate. I think a slow, short effects-dripping solo from the Edge is much better than one from RR. Why? Can't explain it that well. It seems more musical and uninhibited than a Randy solo.

And why are solos the only criteria?!?!?!?!? Solos are only part of a song. Some bands dont have any solos, but that doesnt mean the song isnt good, or that the guitarist sucks. I hate it when people seem to think that flashy playing equates goodness. Don't boil music down to a science...it's an ART! ART is not technical! ART isn't about who is better than who. ART isn't about any of that. it's about feeling, and interpretation, and conveying ideas in unique ways. I don't see anything Unique about Rhodes or Vai...and I find Eddie Van Halen to be a pompous p****. Music is art and I wish more people would treat it that way.

Jimi Hendrix is important because he's an innovator. He wasnt "perfect," he was at times sloppy, but he found his own sweet notes. And he expressed himself in VERY unique ways. Listen to the STar Spangled Banner. I remember once that Wes described that song as "bombs dropping and terror on the ground." Ive never listened to that song the same way again after that. Wes, if you read this, I think your take on that song is spot-on. Jimi does a TREMENDOUS job of conveying a feeling and making a statement without words. That little instrumental, with all it's dive bombs and noise, is ALIVE. I swear it breathes as it comes out of the speakers and those bombs hit your ears. that, my friend, is good music.

Don't take this the wrong way, but open your ears to new stuff. Don't write other guitarists off because Randy Rhodes would whip them in a competition. There are a thousand different artists out there, who express themselves in different ways. Don't knock it, embrace it, and look at music and guitar playing from all angles, not just speed and sweet notes.

I'm done ranting for now.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@boogieman)
Trusted Member

mikespe

Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:24 pm

I am also a HUGE Randy Rhoads fan..I thought he was so under-rated at the time and could have made some FANTABULOUS music if he did not die so young...

But "judging" a guitarist is not about how he'she plays solos or rhythms...it's the complete package. If you look at the times when Jimi Hendrix was alive he TOO was an innovator. There weren't ANY other African-American guitarists playing the kind of music he was playing in the 60's.

Mikesp, actually there were several African Americans paying "Jimi" style in the 60's. Buddy Guy comes to mind, but Jimi mixed in a bit more Rock and was much more accepted by the main stream (white kids). He was an inovator in that way and made blues (fading in popularity by the late 60's with it's original black audienace) and guitar playing so much more popular and acceptable. I love him for that and the fact that SRV loved him, which makes him cool with me.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ahh yes. I understand that Jimi was an innovator, and helped create that type of music back then, but that still doesnt settle that hes the GREATEST guitar player in the world. Ive read 2 or 3 mags, and talked to like 20 people and they all ALL say jimi is the greatest guitar player. I understand he did alot for that type of music, and did have "soul" to his music but that doesnt make him the GREATEST guitar player. I just get mad when people say that. Im just saying skill wise. Not, speed, sweet notes, nonna that. Im saying SKILL. SKILL wise Van halen, RR, and Steve vai are SKILLED MUCH MUCH more then Jimi hendrix in my opinion. Now, people, If you were to put aside his contributes, and innovations towards his type and my type of music, who would be a better "skilled" guitarist? RR, or JIMI. Seriously. So when i hear top 100 greatest guitar PLAYERS. PLAYERS folks, of all time, I automatically think ok most skilled, "talented" So when im done listening to PARANOID Live ( randy) or Mr. Crowley, and then put on a little purple haze or watch tower and see that JIMI is the BEST # 1!!!! Id rather throw up and eat it then read that twice. -M Man. :x

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Here is my opinion,

Jimi was such a great player that he could easily play most things he heard in his head. Now, he was such a musical genius that he had "opened the door" to a musical gateway where the music just flowed out of him. He opened the door for his creative imagination to come out directly throught his guitar.

Randy is a great technical player, but he never achieved this type of musicianship. His solo's were planned out, double tracked, and played with precision. He developed his own style, which I admire.

But every Hendrix solo you hear was created on the spot, and he never plays things the same way twice. The guitar was an extension of his soul, his personality, his imagination. When you listen to a Hendrix solo that you like, you have to realize that was the first time he played it that way, and probably the last. See when you open the musical door to your soul, you don't have to play licks. You play what you hear in your head and feel in your heart. Hendrix translated his emotions directly to the guitar.

If this doesn't make sense to you and you think all this "playing from the heart" stuff is bull, you need to listen to some other great musicians.

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Christian, Duane Allman...

You'll realize that they all have something in common, They all play from the heart, not the head. After a while, you'll realize that all the speed picking and whatnot will never stack up to playing with soul.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

The cool thing about Jimi is that he's not even playing the guitar. It's like singing or something. You just let it come out of you, and it's no longer about fingers and strings. He even sometimes skips notes and goes straight to music. And he always grooves.

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but...
Here is my opinion,

Jimi was such a great player that he could easily play most things he heard in his head. Now, he was such a musical genius that he had "opened the door" to a musical gateway where the music just flowed out of him. He opened the door for his creative imagination to come out directly throught his guitar.

Randy is a great technical player, but he never achieved this type of musicianship. His solo's were planned out, double tracked, and played with precision. He developed his own style, which I admire.

But every Hendrix solo you hear was created on the spot, and he never plays things the same way twice. The guitar was an extension of his soul, his personality, his imagination. When you listen to a Hendrix solo that you like, you have to realize that was the first time he played it that way, and probably the last. See when you open the musical door to your soul, you don't have to play licks. You play what you hear in your head and feel in your heart. Hendrix translated his emotions directly to the guitar.

If this doesn't make sense to you and you think all this "playing from the heart" stuff is bull, you need to listen to some other great musicians.

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Christian, Duane Allman...

You'll realize that they all have something in common, They all play from the heart, not the head. After a while, you'll realize that all the speed picking and whatnot will never stack up to playing with soul.

Played from the head? Taken that way, all the great composers (and classical musicians) have to be put into that category. After all, there's not too much room for improvisation in much of Vivaldi's, JS Bach's, or any other composer's work. Yet, classical musicians manage to play from the heart at the same time. Just because a piece of music is preplanned, doesn't make it impossible to put feeling in it. That's why Stern and Perlman were so good.

See, it's not about putting your emotions into the guitar. Anyone can do that. It's about using the guitar to get emotions out of the other person. In my case, I strive to go beyond the point of, "OMG! He's playing that thing again! Pass the earplugs!"

I side with MetallicaMan more on this subject. Jimi Hendrix, imo (<-this is the key thing), was not that good. He was made famous by circumstance (but then, who isn't?). His version of the Star Spangled Banner makes me cringe whenever I hear it. Purple Haze isn't much better. There are many other guitarists which I think were way better, Randy Rhoades included.

It condenses to a simple thing: there is no such thing as the Greatest Guitar Player. It's all about who you like, and who inspires you to play. For some it's JH, and other's RR. Other people cannot tolerate either of the afformentioned, finding someone else to inspire them. For me, RR > JH.

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Oddly enough, I feel the same way about Eric Clapton. Don't get me wrong, he's written alot of great songs, but I just feel like his solo playing and singing is over-rated: and not because he's not the fastest player or anything, i guess it's just that i don't like his style.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4