Notifications
Clear all

Mr. Crowley

49 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member

These type of debates will always resurface, just because the simple nature of music. All music is subjective to personla opinion and preferance. I myself spend alot of time bringing my technique up because i want the albility to play technical stuff, to me that's what i like. But i don't ignore the likes of Jimi and Pagey! I recently went to see Vai in Manchester, and i was blown away. I love Vai, he's prob my fav guitarist, but i love him for his songs, the emotion thru them gets me, not his chops. The annoying thing is that far too many people at that gig were there soley for his chops. It was the same when i saw Malmsteen. people in the audience are making stupid air guitar fingers along with his solos! It's like train spotting but with finger boards! It's important for me to have a wide technical ability because of the stuff i wanna write and play, but most people don't understand technical guitar. None musicians it just goes over their head. Sit a bunch of normal people in a room, get a blues player to play layla with lil blues solo and you play the fastest most technically demanding run afterwards. People will always say layla was the better.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I read an article about Mark Tremonti of Creed/Alter Bridge. I like to listen to him, I wouldn't say he's a shredder, but he's really got some chops. I found out that he's an SRV fan and he said:

"I'll watch a live performance of his and it will choke me up just watching. He's such an emotional musician. Texas Flood was his coming out record. It's an album I've spent a lot of time learning and trying to develop my guitar skills from. It taught me to slow down. Fast is not what it's all about, feeling is."

Just thought I'd put that quote out there.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

No one has even mentioned Frank Zappa here. Heart, Soul, and excitingly fast chops and skills. He was definitely eccentric, but amazingly brilliant on guitar. He took Blues, jazz, and classical and made them into an Art form. Was he very popular, nope, not really at all. Musicians, should and sometimes do really see that he was really one of the best ever.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

No one has even mentioned Frank Zappa here. Heart, Soul, and excitingly fast chops and skills. He was definitely eccentric, but amazingly brilliant on guitar. He took Blues, jazz, and classical and made them into an Art form. Was he very popular, nope, not really at all. Musicians, should and sometimes do really see that he was really one of the best ever.

i have to say that i fully agree, he was truly one of the best live performers i have ever seen and i have just about everything he ever recorded.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4