Clear all

Music & Emotion.

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I find it quite strange that we usually associate a piece of music with an emotion. But, in actuallity, a song cannot really feel sad or happy ect. Those are just emotions that we attach to music that might be played slowly and softly or quickly and with an upbeat tempo. Generally, if we hear an excellent "sad" song (e.g. played slowly with minor tonality) we are likely to feel quite exhilirated. In fact, if a sad piece of music actually made us sad, I doubt we would listen to it.

So, my questions are: Why do you think we associate emotion with music so frequently? If a composition cannot literally exude sadness or happiness, then why do we lable them with these emotions? Is it not possible that what may seem to be a "happy" song, could actually have been intended to be "sad" by the composer? If so, isnt it somewhat innefficient or inaccurate (for lack of a better word) to describe a piece of music with emotions?

*I know, its heavy and somewhat abstract. But, I think this would make an interesting debate*

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane