music or school??

31 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@jimmybinder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey,
I am at a crossroads of sorts. I'm 22 and have done 2 years of university. I know that I want to pursue music in some form, whether it be playing w/ my band or doing solo recording stuff. I have written very powerful songs which I am confident with, but my dilemma is that I cannot decide if I should throw caution to the wind and go at music 100% or if I should go back to university and finish up my 2 years and get my BA. I enjoy both, but I don't want my judgement to be clouded in either case, although of course logic is telling me to go to school so I'll have some qualification for the 'real world' as a backup in case music doesn't work out.

Any thoughts, opinions, theories would be excellent.

Many thanks,

R.

(@amazing_ness)
Estimable Member

STAY IN SCHOOL!

If you rely on musicmaking for money then you might find yourself too mainstream. For instance, you are in serious finacial debt, need some quick cash, so for your next performance you cake on white makeup and scream a lot. The crowd goes wild, you get a CD out, you become famous, BUT, your music has diverged, and you don't like it. So you quit the industry, your albums don't sell anymore, and you are deep in the whiskey house.

Take the credits in University because then you don't have to change yourself for the audience, you can change the audience for you.

Hey.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The world isn't going anywhere in the next 2-3 years. Finish school, get your diploma and, then, make music

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Definitely stay in school! Since a musician should never give up his/her day job, you might as well have one that doesn't include flipping burgers or working retail for a pittance! :D You could also take some music related courses, if your school offers them. That would give you just that much more experience in your chosen musical profession!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I just finished up my first year of college, so i would recommend going with school.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Not only stay in school, but take business courses. A lot of the grief people have trying to make a living in music comes from not knowing anything about business. You'll be doing yourself a huge favor and giving yourself a lot of help in the long run.

Best of luck and fortune to you!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Does your school have any performing arts type courses that you can take as electives?

Are there any "coffee house" type venues on campus?

What I'm getting at is, you can do both. There are a lot of ears at usiversity. And they tend to be open to new experiences (I.E. performers and styles of music that they may not have heard of before).

One of my friends started up a weekly gig at the students' bar on campus. He called it "Blue Mondays" and it was basicaly an open blues jam. It gave the music students (and anyone else who wanted) an audience, and experience playing with a different group of musicians each week. And a hatful of coins. It brought in extra business for the bar, and it gave the rest of the students another night out (or another reason to be in the bar.. not like most students need much of an excuse IIRC).

Stay in school. You're halfway thru already.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Does your college have a radio station?

Record a demo of yourself and maybe some friends and get it put on college radio. You'll get some expierience recording, and if you have a good enough demo maybe you can form a band with other classmates. Plus you will learn all about how the radio stations operate.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm going to use the example of an old boy from my school - Trevor Brooking.

He has a batch of qualifications and could easily fall back into doing a desk job, but he listened to parental advice about having something to fall back on whilst he was getting into the school athletic record books, playing football for England Schoolboys, West Ham, and the full England squad, and is now Director of Football or something like that for the FA - and he got knighted the other year for services to football.

So, stick at the college stuff. You never know when you might need a regular job.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

you mean soccer, right...

Had to, sorry :)

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The fact that you guys prefix 'football' with 'American' demonstrates that you know you've appropriated the term from something else... :mrgreen:

Anyhooo, yes, stay with education. When you read about some famous musician who ditched it to put all their effort into music and made it work, just remember that for every success there are thousands, literally, who did the same and failed. There's a balance to be struck between putting in the effort and having a fallback position, summed up in the old adage "Play for the best, plan for the worst".

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There are many footbal teams in the UK that demand that their academy players learn a trade or profession alongside their football qualifications. Apart from having something to fall back on when they retire, they quite simply may not make it long enough in the big time to get enough money saved for them to retire on, either through lack of ability or through getting crocked.
Why give up the chance of a qualification (that no-one can ever take away from you), that will get you a steady income for a very uncertain future in the music business. Get the qualification, then try the music business. If you don't make it big playing, you may be able to put the qualification to use in production, management or whatever.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I mean soccer. Maybe. The word Football is actually a reference to the game invented at Rugby, which is a public school and not one that you get to go to because to live in the area LOL. Ah, England and America, two nations divided by a common language (Winston Churchill, I believe)

Who won the Rounders game on Monday? Red Sox or the Yankees? I was in New York last week and would have liked to see the game. PM me with the score, let's keep the thread on track.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Rounders? that's poker right? :?

http://www.roundersmovie.com/

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jimmybinder)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys i really appreciate it...the fact that your answers are basically unanimous makes me feel stupid for asking in the first place! I guess my biggest concern was whether or not I should be spending time preparing for my backup instead of going for my #1 first.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3