Clear all

Muting w/ Heavy Distortion

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@iaiabeans)
Topic starter  

Hello All,

Hoping someone can help me. I am trying to figure out how to mute the strings on the electric guitar when there is heavy distortion. For example, I am learning plush by STP and when I play it on electric, after I play my chord shape, I have to rest all of my fingers of my fret hand across the strings in order to get a clean muted string sound. If I just relax my hands in the chord position they are in, I get a lot of unwanted harmonic noises. I wonder if I am taking the right approach? It just seems inefficient to move my hand that much. Again, I am achieving the sound I want but it takes a lot of hand movement.

Thanks in advance for the help!

(@alangreen)

You're using the wrong hand. The technique you need is called "palm muting".

Rest the fleshy part of your picking hand on the strings where they cross the bridge and leave it there. It'll require a slight adjustment to your picking action.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@iaiabeans)
Topic starter  

I wasnt sure if dean deleo was palm muting or using his fret hand. So is the way i mute wrong?

With palm muting, I have difficulty achieving a complete muted sound on the up stroke. How should I be attacking the strings. Also, should I try to hit them all or only a few?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

he's doing it right. you just relax and move your hand slightly, resting your fingers across the strings even if you keep the general chord shape. moving enough to avoid harmonics and chord noise and stuff, but not so much that it's difficult to get back to the chord.

ReplyQuote