Clear all

My audition was last night

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I posted about this earlier: http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39180 and I finally got in there last night.

On the positive side, I surprised them all with the amount of songs I learned for the tryout, my being able to do harmony on the fly, my ability to carry my weight on some of the lead vocals, and my wide-ranging styles. :D

One red flag was me botching a couple of the solos. :oops: My damn nerves got the better of me in places. The guy who I would replace is a total speed demon with no apparent flubs.

I'll give myself an 85. If I get in there, cool. If I don't, I already have designs for another avenue in attempting musical fusion! :wink:

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like it went fairly well then. Did you like them? It goes both ways, yanno.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like it went fairly well then. Did you like them? It goes both ways, yanno.

Seemed like nice folks. They practice regularly and freshen up the set frequently, too. All good points.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

dont worry the one flub. it sounds like you were prepared and showed them that you are earnest and flexible. you also stood up without being asked. I would hire you. IMO taste is far better than speed. it sounds like you have taste offering many flavors.
props man.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Atleast you rocked em' out well. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

On the positive side, I surprised them all with the amount of songs I learned for the tryout, my being able to do harmony on the fly, my ability to carry my weight on some of the lead vocals, and my wide-ranging styles

This is far more valuable and useful to a band than playing super-fast solos. Learning the songs quickly is a real plus when a band is looking to replace a player, less down time. And harmony and lead vocals is always a great addition to any band.

You will get the solos, just relax and play within your own abilities and style. It will sound different to them at first, but they will adapt.

Let us know if you get the gig.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Glad things went well! Hope you get the slot.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Learning the songs quick is the greatest.

We just auditioned a new bass player the other day and he picked things up incredibly fast, learning in just a few minutes basslines that our previous bassist had never been able to master.

Glad it went well for you!

Isaac

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The guy who is leaving is a real Live Wire, soloing-wise. He has the fastest fingers I have ever seen on a local musician. Crisp notes, and no clunkers.

I told them afterward that I was no Joe Satriani, more Jimmy Page when it came to solos. This gig would be cool, but if they need another shredder, then I wanted to be upfront about my lack of shred-ability.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

When are you supposed to find out?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'll know something in a week or two. They told me they are going to audition other candidates.

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

Glad things went well. If you don't get the slot, then you get the experience for you next audition. If you do, excellent!

ReplyQuote
(@bailey)
Eminent Member

Hi
You well get the chance just do your practice and try to learn more. Hope you will get position.
ALL THE BEST !!

Hotstrings: Learn the GUITAR- without learning all the notes...

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I spoke with my buddy about this the other day. He told me the rest of the band is set on auditioning other players, even though they don't have any lined up for the moment. So it may be quite a while before I hear anything else. I am planning on seeing them play out this Friday, so who knows?

If something else comes up, he said not to "hang my hat on this one".

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote